Gardner Fish Market was open this morning.

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by LBM, Aug 14, 2008.

1. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Caught five legal fish and one short. The legal fish were as follows

19.5 inch released
    22 inch kept
    12lb 5oz CPR'd
    7lb 6oz kept
    17 inch released

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice fish Lee. Looks like you were on the boat fishing out in the middle. You werent far from where me and Shelby fish at. :wink:

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Nice Catch There Lee, Thanks For The Report And For The Pics.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Nice channels Lee. You have been gettin some nice ones in there.

5. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Lee,

Those are some fine looking fish. You've always had pretty good luck at Gardner. I don't suppose you even had to tie up to the fish feeder, did you ??

Good to see you're doing well.

God Bless,
    Charlie

6. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Great looking fish. Were you using shad?

7. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Yes those pellet fed fish are sure good looking and tasty specimens.

As for tying up I don't even want to be anchored while fishing. That feeder has two anchor chains holding it in place and they tend to make it problematic once a fish is hooked. I've had to break off several fish while fishing the feeders once they have got me rapped in the chain.

The 12 pounder yesterday initially had me in the chain for a bit but he finally chose to swim the wrong direction and I was able to get it away from the feeder. On my previous outting to Gardner I had a drag screemer break off in the chain.

One time at Louisburg I had to break one off in the chain. Later on that morning I hooked him again and after getting him in the boat and found the same type circle hook and a piece of my braided line hanging out of his mouth.

This method of cat fishing using my 10ft B&M Crappie pole with 30 or more pound braided line and a circle hook for me is an absoulute hoot. I've caught a couple channel at Louisburg at 15 pounds this way. Those B&M poles have served me well at this type of fishing but not the kind of equipment one would want for fishing in any kind of cover. One time I broke the end section on my B&M pole fishing this way and that was when a 4 or 5 pounder slipped out of my hand and fell across the pole that wasn't laying flat in the boat. :angry:

Anyhow good luck on the water Charlie.

Lee

8. fishn247

fishn247 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Caught 2 last night, one about 8lbs the other about 3lbs. First time fishing gardner, was impressed. The 8lber'er was bigger than i've caught in a long time; I had a lot of fun.

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice fish Dave. I went to Gardner for an hour after I got back from the river tonight , no good. Oh well maybe next weekend. :big_smile:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Lee, what bait were you using, and how deep were you fishing ?

11. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Keith

I was just using cut bait first using the heads then gut pocket then tails of the green perch caught at Gardner.

As for the depth it was the complete water column. I use a 10 ft crappie pole with braid line and a circle hook and so far this year no weights. Sometimes I will use spits shots to vary the fall rate of the bait. I just flip the bait close to and around the feeder letting it freely flutter to the bottom and let it set a bit then bring it back out and re-flip it again. While it is setting it is on a loose and snaking line in the water. I watch for the line to begin straighting out for any pick ups. Since I'm using circle hooks my hook set is just a slow or laid back rod sweep and start reeling in not the cross their eyes type hook sets. As far as the set times on the bottom with the bait it varies as to my mood expectations and conditions while fishing. My flipping method is just like I used do when flipping a worm or jig into trees while bass fishing.

This method of fishing is really the only way I fish for catfish. If the KDWP didn't have feeders out I probably wouldn't be catching any cats. Crappie fishing is what I mainly do all year but when it gets hot I'v found out I really enjoyed this type of fishing by getting on the water early catching bait under a slip bobber with a tiny hook and a piece of worm and then fish for the cats then off the water by 11 am.

Anyhow guess I've run on enough and good fishing.

Lee

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I was catchin some nice channels crappie fishing earlier this spring on the same type of rod.I had 14lb. test cajun red.I have tried it at Pleasonton and I find it too light. I'm using a 9' Cabela's med hvy salmon spinning rod with a salt striker 55 bait runner and 30 lb test cajun red. When they run under the feeder you gotta horse them out of there in a hurry before they snag you up. A 2 or 3 pounder will still give you a good fight but you will have a lot better chance on the bigger ones.I have landed 5 channels over 20 and a 45" 40 lb grass carp on this rig.:roll_eyes:

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Nice Fish And Great Catch There David, Also Great Job On Your New Avatar:smile2:. It Sure Helps To Put A Face With A Response.

Were You Fishing From A Boat??

14. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks

WELCOME TO THE BOC David thats a nice channel makes for a good avatar pic..:smile2::cool2:...

15. fishn247

fishn247 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks guys. Yes, I was fishing from a boat.

16. hadsall26

hadsall26 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I live in gardner kansas! any good baits for gardner lake for cats? email me @ hadsall01@hotmail.com

17. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Preston

The bait I used is the green sunfish or any brim that I catch around the shore. To catch the bait I use small hooks with a split shot about 12 inches below a bobber. I just use a small piece of worm approx 1/4 inch on the hook and fish in and around the water willows, ramp, dock and shoreline. With any luck one worm catches all the bait I will need for the way I fish there.

Here is a picture of the hooks I use for catching bait and the catfish.

[​IMG]

If I was to fish from shore for the cats around the feeder I would have two rigs one set to fish on the bottom and one with a slip bobber to hang the cut bait at around 12 to 15 ft deep around the feeder. As I recall the feeder sets on a nice break from around 12 on the shore side to over 20 feet on the lake side of the feeder.

Thats just my take on this since I don't consider myself a knowledgeable catfisherman. My confidence fishing is primarily for crappie.

Anyhow good luck and don't let one of those fat cats steal your equipment.:wink:

18. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Lee have you heard that feeder go off when youve been out there ? Also, your little aberdeen hook is the same hook I use to catch my bait. :smile2:

19. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Keith

The feeder has gone off at 6 am and 7 am the two times I've been out there this year. They are rather short burst when then go off so I sure they are scheduled for other times during the day. Maybe others will post times when they have seen it go off.

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Was there from 3-6 am. 2 cats, 4lb and a 2lb. Feeder went off at 5 and 6am. :confused2: