Gardner Fish market closed down today

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Aug 31, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went to Gardner lake yesterday but the fish market was closed down. Dumped 4 gallons of soybeans and 5 gallons of purina catfish chow sinking but found no paying customers.Tried turkey liver,shad, live bluegill ,cut bluegill and found no paying customers. We moved to several different spots all over the lake. tried the feeder twice no bites.I told Shelby and Keith my feeder pattern was hit and miss anywhere but Pleasonton.We proved that yesterday.Oh well it was a nice day and my gas motor ran good so it's ready to go back out on the Kaw.See attached{invisible}:angry: pics for all the fish we caught....ha ha:confused2:

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Eric, It Was Still Fun Out There On The Water And I Got Some Bluegills Out Of It So It Was Not All Bad:big_smile:.

Thanks Again Eric We Will Have To Try It Sometime In The PM:wink:.

3. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Dang Eric sorry to hear you report on Gardner. I was down at Louisburg Friday and found the feeder empty but we still managed 4 legals before going after the crappie.

With you report I'm kind of in a quandry as to where my next catfishing outing will be since Gardner was my first choice. May have to get back up to Leavenworth or maybe check the feeders out at Clinton. Decisions decisions.

Anyhow thanks for the report.

4. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Lee we went to Pleasonton today and after a fruitless search for doves on some public hunting ground we only caught 40 fish for 3 of us. But we got started late and went right in the middle of a hot day.I don't know Gardner at all and my sinking pellets were 2 years old and moldy. Feed doesn't keep well in a 5 gallon for 2 years.That is the deepest water I've ever seen a feeder in.You don't know where they will be in the water column.... The West Lake where we were today is only 12' deep the feeders are in 12',7' 5' and only 4' of water. Seems much easier for them to find your bait in that shallow water. Had 10-20 mph shifting winds today not very good for that kind of fishing. Our big fish was only 8lbs... lots of 3-5 pounders today. We only stayed 3 1/2 hours so I guess it's not that bad. But compared to the last time when there were 3 of us we caught 78 it's not so good.I caught 50 last Monday all by myself. Send me a PM and we'll go sometime Lee.

5. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Eric it kind of sounds like you have sore mouthed all of them at Pleasantant. :smile2::wink: I fished there once a couple years ago and liked what I saw in the East Lake but didn't catch that many at that time.

For me driving 60 miles one way for a two fish lake to stock up on filets is a big gulp with the price of gas.

Thought I read some where that the KDWP won't be keeping the feeders filled as late this year due to price of feed and gas.:sad2:

6. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I think you are right Lee the feed costs $20 a bag so it's easy to see how they might stop early. I work for the state and we are always short of funds our office is 4 examiners short of being fully staffed due to a statewide hiring freeze.But the city of Pleasonton fills the 9 feeders on those 2 lakes.They still had 3 pallets of 50 lb feed bags about 2 weeks ago. I was buying a sack of feed down at the local store because it's cheaper and the city's supply was in their storage room.The Cfap program gives the city state money to buy feed instead of the city charging a fee.My uncle drove and he gave me $20 for bait + chum and hooks so I probably came out ahead. Feeder was operational and I would say a couple hundred fish came up when it went off....we followed them all the way across the lake throwing more pellets as we went.When they got to the bank we really hammered them.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I read that too, in the state fishing reports for Atchison St Lake a couple of weeks back.

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Eric, I betcha later on that evening, all that feed was getting torn up. Gardner turns on at night, but Ive never done very well in the day.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I still owe you a trip Gary.... They're slowing down a little but can still be had. We'd have caught more if we didn't keep bankers hours yesterday.Seems silly to drive 2 hours round trip to only fish for 3 1/2 hours.Oh well I wasn't paying for the gas.Send me a PM after the tournament and we'll go stretch some lips.We went barbless yesterday for a little while seemed to lose more fish on the way in.I was messing around with an octopus circle hook for a while and it didn't work as well...We caught almost all 3-4 lb fish maybe it would work better on bigger fish.Some days you just don't have the touch.