Garden work in the winter

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Boomer, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well coming up on my vacation (DEC 11), plan on working on the garden some more.

I live on a sloping hill, and when they dug out for my shop that gave me about 300 cubic yards of top soil, so every time I am home, i break out the tractor and do some more leveling. Right now I have an area about 70 x 40 level, and have about another 60 feet to go, cant make it any wider, but I figure by the time I am finished it will be about 130-150 feet, and probably still have a lot of topsoil left over. My wife has been dumping the grass clipping in the garden all year (Didnt have a garden last year, got around to getting the area level). But I will tiller up the area I have for them to put in a garden this year. She also made a big compost pile of leaves, that I will add in next year...

Anyone else do gardening in the winter?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Not any more Gary. I use to prepare my garden in the winter. I would brake the ground and haul several loads of manure and put on it and let it sink in all winter. Made for some rich soil.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I took a sub soiler over my field, then plowed it under,, I spread some compost on it with the loader bucket,,,now my neighbor is spreading his manure on it,,, It's about 150' by 350' and he already has it covered about 2" deep...They produce a lot of manure,,, I get 1 - 2 spreaders a day.

By spring I'll probably disk it all in and then it's ready to plant..

Last year I had a real water problem... that's why I ran the subsoiler threw,,, it broke up any hard pan, so the water could go down.

I need to work on the early garden and get it mowed and covered with compost.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I used to Gary but the health an age factor seems to have slowed me down. It's now just a small garden not worth messing with.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I spread the rabbit poop that we accumulate for the year ,I keep it in a pile,till after the garden spot is cleaned,Then put it on the garden about 1-2" deep,by early spring its covered and gets tilled in.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gary, I walk across the crust of ice lying over usually 2' of snow and am glad I don't have to pull any weeds.

Makes for easy gardening, spring will always come. and of course there is the vegetable department at the grocery. Gotta learn how to speak Peruvian though to find out what I am buying.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  7. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Bringing in loads of aged sawdust, spreading it about 3" deep over garden. Got 2 loads so far, about 4 more to go. Along with all the leaves we're getting. Got to borrow a couple of air tanks, along with compressor and put slime in rear tractor tire.
    90 foot fence trellis was heavy with running limas that didn't produce. Winds caught it, now laying on ground. Got to get that cleaned off and replaced. Might as well move it to a new location.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    this will be my first garden in years but i am looking forwerd to geting back into it most of my gardening will be flower bed tip exsept for the corn and green beans geting spring feaver as we speak lol

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Same old garden as always this year. The normal!! We have done all of our flower beds in wild flowers native to Mo. Some times it looks like a weed from the pasture growing and it is. LOL Got to watch the envasive ones. Even I can grow these and they don't really need any care except when first stated. Some of the odd ones we bought and some were not cheap. And in the fall and winter the birds live off the seed.

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    JC. i too have bin giving thout to planting native flower garden i like the wild flowers lot less work and looks good plus the wild life gets some good from it

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    We got into them big time after Joan started working for the Dept. If the city would let me my yard would be wild flowers!!

12. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Yes sir I do garden in the winter.....I have a greenhouse. I've done all the fall tilling already and it's way to cold right now to do much outside, but it is fantastic to go in to the greenhouse with the temps outside in the single digits and have green growing things and 70 degrees. In the mornings on my days off I go out there and have a cup of coffee and enjoy the flowers and veggies.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Post some pic's, Mark.

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ditto

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    sat down last night going thru the catalogs got most of my list made out :Happy: