Garden tips or tricks you use

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Poppa, May 3, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    1. I put a couple of paper match books under pepper plants. peppers
    love the sulfur.
    2. After my peppers are established in the garden I spray them with a
    mixture of epson salts and water. They will turn a dark dark green and
    grow like crazy.
    3. When You use liquid sevin and water in a sprayer add Miracle grow
    to the mixture and kill two birds with one stone.
    4. I have permanent posts every 12 feet with two heavy guage wires
    run between them one 18" and one 5 and 1/2 foot. I take cotton crochet
    string and run it over and under the wires making w's or v's the length
    of the wires. I plant pole beans a row on each side of the wires and train
    the runners to the strings. This keeps from having to cut poles or sticks.
    Clean up is easy just let the vines die the strings rot. In the winter pull
    the vines off and burn them.
    I know others have tips to share that they have picked up along the way
    share them with us.

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    How much epsom salt to water ratio?

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Ozzy I learned to do that out of a garden book years ago. The writer
    Dick Raymond said that Epson salts is a form of magnesium and he
    used 1Tbs in a windex bottle of warm water. I use a 1/2 cup in a two
    gallon sprayer. Spray your peppers when they start to bloom.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Epson salt, take a couple of teaspoons when planting your tomatos and drop in the hole, then plant them. An old lady taught me that trick.....boy those tomatos will be acidic!!!!!

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I had heard about the epsom salt for tomatoes, & roses, but I'd never heard of spraying it on pepper plants; can't wait to try it!!
    I hope more folks post hints on here; I need all the help I can get!:smile2:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My tip for today is to "sucker" your tomato plants. In other words, pinch the new growth from the node under the blooms. If you continuously "sucker" your tomato plants, you will have mega strong stems, and most of the plant's energy will be directed towards fruit production, rather than vegetative growth. If anyone does not understand what I mean, let me know and I'll post a pic of a sucker on a tomato plant.

Bill in SC

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in the southwest where I am,I like to place a gallon can like the ones the schools restaurants get thier canned veggies in ,around my pepper plants,I press it just less than half way in ,Then when I water I just fill the can to the top. It gets plenty of water right at the sorce

8. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    when my tomatoes / peppers start to bloom i mix a tbs of epsom salt in a quart of warm water and spray the blooms. this will cause them to set fruit faster cliff:wink:

9. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I hate weeding. I use grass clippings on top of newspaper in my rows and cut the weeding way down. It also holds moisture in the ground and cuts down on watering.
    I also start my beans in pots then transplant them. I don't loose them to slugs and cutworms anymore when they sprout.

10. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i used to put beer in mayonaise jar tops and set them all around the garden... slugs must love beer , cause if u got a slug problem , the tops will fill up with dead slugs................. then i woke up one day and realized i like beer a lot more than i do veggies , so i quit buying beer for the slugs !!!!!:wink:

11. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i buy my tomato plants as soon as i can find them at the store. Transfer them to an old meat cooler to get the roots spreading. Set them in the sun during the day and bring them in the garage at night for about two to three weeks. They will groww pretty quickly this way. Then when ready to put in the ground I pick off all the leave except the last two rows at the top and lay them in a trench 2 to 3 inches deep, careful bending the last two or three inches of the plant upward. Cover them with dirt and add some miracle grow. This give the plants more roots to feed.

12. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Coach, I cannot believe you won't share your beer with those snails lol.:006:

13. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    SteveG, I've heard of people doing their plants like that; in fact, I think my dad did them that way years ago. If I recall, he had excellent tomatoes then, too!:wink:

14. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Best tomato plants I've seen grow was because of a trick I played on my mother in law.
    She had just planted 3 tomato plants. I dug them up and buried a fish under 2 of them.
    The 2 grew huge and the third was a dwarf compared to the others.
    Unfortunatly I can't do that in my garden because our dogs will dig them up.
    Have a good 1
    just

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yep, a couple of years back, my husband buried all our bream trimmings in a plot beside the fence. The next year we put our tomatoes there, & they did fantastic. I don't really know why, but we haven't done it again since....not real smart, huh?

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Each year, I start my own tomatoes, peppers, cabbages from seeds and when they are ready to set out in the garden....I put a cup of rabbit manure in the hole. WOW.....last year my tomato plants stood over 8' high and was loaded down with big juicy tomatoes and the peppers were hanging by the 100's. When I plant my other garden seeds.....I hoe out a row and put about an inch of rabbit manure in the trench...put my seeds right on top of it and cover it up. Best looking gardens I have ever grown. Very productive, great results!:cool2:

17. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just got me a long handled propane torch,,, boy does it do in weeds,,,,, I'm trying different ideas,,, trying not to use 2,4,D or other herbisides....

18. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Plant your pole beans in with your corn and the corn will grow well. They love the nitrogen the bean fix in the soil and they provide the trellis the pole beans need to climb.

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is one I have used for years. When I water my garden I set in my rocking chair, hose in one hand and a beer in the other, just about one hour before sunset. I don't know what it is but every thing just looks better when I water it this way......:big_smile:

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ahhhh, the good life. I may have to start trying that. I'm sure my tomatoes & peppers would do alot better this way!:wink: