Garden Time

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by vlparrish, Mar 12, 2007.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I worked my garden ground today. I widened it by a few feet, in hopes of having more yield. Vern

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Ive started my bell pepper seeds last night. cant wait to start the rest of my veggies.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm prob. goin to till mine this weekend ,as the ground temps are around 40* now the onions and garlic will go in right away

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We usually just do peppers (red, yellow, and green bells) and tomatoes.

Hey, the wild onions and garlic are about 5" high... clumps of them all over the place, coming up in the grass and edges of the dirt road.

And I just went to open a window and see the redbud tree just outside there has budded. Dunno why they're called redbud anyway - - the flowers are purple! Sure are pretty, tho, and it's a great sign of Spring :lol:

Happy Gardening, everyone!

5. Tala

Tala Guest

I would like to do a small garden this year. I havent attempted one in years. But the very thought of fried green tomatoes makes my mouth water...:dribble:

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive still got 20 or so jars of salsa from last season, bet i still get the garden planted soon.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    my garden time has been pushed back now. I got 8" of snow & sleet last night!! now i have cramp under my shoulder blade & it hurts to turn my neck and to make it worse...the dwarf irises that were coming up are buried again.

8. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    We bought a house last July and I tilled a spot for the garden. So it set all winter. I went out the other day and tested the soil, boy do I have work to do. The PH is way high and all nutrients are low. Look out garden store here I come...

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    we are putting in a garden this week in tub containers. i am using the empty lick tubs from the cows and filling them half full of dirt and half full of potting soil. my dad did it a couple of years ago and had a great garden. it saves getting a tiller and with 6 tubs you still get enough vegetables to make it worth while. we are full time rv, so we have to leave the garden for a while to travel and the kids check it once or twice a week while we are on the road.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    The wife and I will be sharing 2 large plots at my parents house. Tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, zucchini and strawberries are on the list. Along with our blackberry and grape vines. Might try sweet potatoes as well.

11. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    i share your pain there with the high PH. this north texas alkali clay isnt fit to grow dirt. ive put in sulfur last year that helped some but this late in the game aluminum sulfate's your best bet. when you till it under this fall, add some sulfur then and let it sit all winter. tilling in a boatload of peat will help too.

if the soil is still too high after you plant you can cultivate with a little sulphur but i never noticed a difference. till you get it down the only way your plants are going to get enough iron is thru a foliar spray but be careful that stuff is messy as hell and will stain.

am going to try something new this year. in fact later this afternoon...
    ill be digging one foot deep holes into my existing beds with post hole diggers and backfilling with bagged supergrow high end houseplant stuff and planting my 'maters and peppers in them. about fifty plants total.
    CANT be any worse than last years crop.

still buying plants but thus far have jaleps, tabascos, cayennes, some new chille called a "super chille" (any clue?) and maters ive got 444's, celebrities, carnivals, romas, and one "mr. stripey" cause the wife wants to see one. (ive grown before, mixed color is a novelty and flavor is lacking)

12. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    vernon got our raised beds ready for plantin... gonna grow 3 kinds of lettuce, green beans. 2 kinds of squash, maters, green bells, cucumbers and those delicious ambrosia cantaloupes!... i learned form last yr that ill be getting me some half wine barrel planters fill with some mushroom soil and plant the melons and puttin those up on a high deck so deer cant get them and if they decide to climb those stairs ill have fresh venison!!! :smile2: Hope everyone has a great garden this yr!!!

Karolyn and Chuck

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya its time for planting, since I got a tillier, I am ready to start planting:lol:

14. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    You folks down south are lucky to be able to put the garden out early. Here in northern Illinois they say don't plant (above ground crops) until May 25. I lost tomatoes a couple years ago planting early.

15. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    It is only planning time here in Ohio, have to wait for mother nature to cooperate. Flowers are begining to pop up and the garlic I planted in the fall is showing.