Garden spider

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    First, let me say I do NOT like spiders; well, except for this one. For some reason I've never been afraid of the garden spider. And I am "terrified" of any other spider! Anyway, I've been watching this one in my flower bed, & today I noticed her egg sac. I've read that once they make their sac, then they weaken & die in the early fall. So, I guess her days are numbered.:sad2: Anyway, I thought they were interesting pictures.

Attached Files:

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Call me a wimp, pansy or whatever. I don't do spiders. Rather know i had a rattler in the house than a spider.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've always liked golden garden spiders too! :big_smile:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A good spider is a dead spider.:wink:

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Spiders dont bother me but snakes, yeaaaachhkk. I always called them the big spiders, lol. At least I know a more common name for em now.

6. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Spiders didn't used to bother me until I got bit by a brown recluse on the side of my leg. It took over 3 months for it to stop oozing and I've got a hole about the size of a nickel where it was. Needless to say, spiders and I don't get along anymore.:crazy:

7. festus

festus New Member

Other than black widows or recluse spiders, I don't try to harm them. But we get scorpions in the house occasionally. I make sure they meet their maker. :crazy: I don't think this type of scorpion is any worse than a bee sting, however. You seldom see one over an inch long.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i had no idea there were scorpions down your way.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Don, I hate to hear about your bad experience. Those brown recluse scare the sh** out of me!! Glad you got over it. I know a guy who got bitten twice--a couple of years apart--& it was ugly.
    As for scorpions; a friend of ours here in Haughton, in NW Louisiana, has battled them for years. They built a new house & it must be right on top of a "breeding ground", or something. They have them in their house, outside in the carport, around the pool. Oh my gosh, it's awful! I don't know if I could've lived there.....:eek:oooh:

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    My landlords wife calls them banana spiders..first time ive heard that..they do make some awesome webs:big_smile:

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  12. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'd rather have spiders around than choke on flies because that's what would happen without spiders:wink:

13. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    From what I've been told, most people have them in their homes. They are a non-aggresive spider and only bite when they are laid on or against. They like dark rooms, closets, etc. Figure that's how I got bit in my bed. I work shiftwork and my rooms always dark for sleeping in the daytime. Since then, the house has been tightened up a bunch. There's a guy here at work that got bit about a week and a half ago, on his right index finger. In a matter of two days, it went from red and swelling about 4 times normal, to turning black. Haven't talked to him since then, to see how he's doing.
    As for the scorpions, don't know how I would handle them. In the case of your friend, would probably have to find another home.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hate Spiders, and Snakes!!! I am a wimp! Don't care.:smile2: rollo

15. festus

festus New Member

Yes, we have them, but not the dangerous type that's in the desert. I'm lucky, never been stung by one, but every time I get ready to put on my shoes, I check for them. I hear the sting is no worse than a sweat bee.