Garden Intruders

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by bigcatmaniac, Jul 19, 2007.

1. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    We have a large patch of sweet corn in our garden, we also have had some intruders come into our garden, take the best ears and pull all the others off the stalks. I have put up a two strand electric fence to keep out the rabbits and other small animals, but it isnt working with the raccoons. They have completely destroyed the garden. There is only one way i can see to solve this problem before they move onto other plants, what do you all suggest we do to keep the raccoons out.

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    A lawn chair, a good spotlight, some free time, and a .22.

Other than that ask around for someone that traps raccoons. You can sometimes find people that are willing to come trap them so they can later release them and let their coon dogs run them.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    like was said, a spotlight and a good air rifle or .22 if your out in the country.

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    trap it, shoot it, electrocute it, beat it with a ball-peen hammer, whatever you have to do to it... then skin it, quarter it, par-boil it for ten minutes, and roast it in the oven with some sweet taters for an hour at 300.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used to do a half decent job keepin' critters out of my garden by puttin' a radio tuned to an all night talk station in it...

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Some times hair will work. The barber shop will give it to you. coons are hard to keep out of sweet corn. after they find it they will be back.:embarassed:

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    youve got 3 options

1. can of tuna & a have a heart trap

2. can of tuna & a firearm

3. can of tuna & a bow.

8. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Try 1 more strand of wire. Space at 3-4 inches off ground, 8-10 and about 12-14. Your fencer will run probably about a 1/2 mile of fence. Make sure that no grass or weeds or corn touch and ground out the fence. In very dry weather, keep the ground moist next to the fence to help ground thier little feet.:eek:oooh:

9. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Tie a dog to the corner of the garden

10. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    well i tried one way that did produce one large sow raccoon. i sat out there all night last night with my 20 gauge and a lawn chair (dusk to dawn light right over the garden) and five of them little rascals came up from the creek. I got the first one and i think i hit the second two. only found the first one (or what was left of it) they were about 10 feet from me when i shot. I saw how they got over the two strands of hot wire too, one stood right next to it and let the others use its back to jump over it, then it laid flat on the ground and crawled under it. they are smarter than they look.

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Shoot the one that lets them crawl over its back Ethan and the rest can't get in.......:wink:

12. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    might just have to do that, I talked to a couple buddies, we are gonna set a few traps tonight and if that doesnt work we are gonna start a small war with these critters, we just dont want the to move onto any thing else like the watermelon or cantelope.:big_smile:

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Whats wrong with watermellon? :wink:

14. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    heres a little trick i learned camping. if you want to keep critters away from something. get you a spray bottle add one container of ground red pepper and fill with water. spray anything you don't want the critters gettin near. one taste of the pepper they leave your stuff alone and bug the neighbors.

15. jeremy0000

jeremy0000 New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    The best way I have found to keep pests out of the garden is a motion activated sprinkler. It waters the plants and scares off the pests.

Google: "motion activated sprinkler" you'll find plenty of info.

Also wouldn't be too hard to build your own if you wanted to save some cash and have a new project.