Garcia mitchell 624

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bearcat, Dec 10, 2005.

1. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Guys I got a old reel today . It is a Garcia mitchel 624. It is a baitcast reel with no level wind. It is 3 inches in diameter and 3 inches wide. It is made of stainless steel and plastic. It looks alot like a penn. It is mounted on a garcia rod . 6ft 6 in. medium action. It feels like a very sturdy rod.the handle below the reel seat is covered with wood. It looks like it is a solid fiberglass rod.

The reel was made in france and the rod was made in the USA. I dont know how old this rig is but it is fairly old looking. It is in like new conditon. The reel is as smooth as silk. I forgot it has a clicker on it. The star drag has numbers on it to check where you have it set at. I would guess it was a very good rig for big cats in its day.

I got it from a guy that bought it at an estate auction. I paid 40 bucks. I dont feel I got hurt.

What do you all think.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds very interesting! I bet Mr.Jim would be able to give you a great estimate if you could post a picture of it. As long as you enjoy it, thats half the fun.

I like the numbers set on the Star Drag, nice touch. I would say you got a nice deal!

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I will try and get some pics of it posted.

4. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    here are some pics of a reel off of ebay. My reel is great condition but needs cleaned up.

Attached Files:

5. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As Beavis would say...... he he pics... yeah pics... pics pics pics!
    On a serious note, sounds cool! I love old stuff.

6. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Bearcat... I have seen several of the Garcia Mitchell 624 saltwater reels. The ones I seen have yellow or cream colored sideplates and a huge round cranking knob. Made in France, Line Capacity - 325 yards of 40 lbs test.
    Retrieve - 24" per handle rotation. Very nice looking reels and look to be built solid. They usually bring anywhere from $10 to $40 depending on condition. Sounds like you done very good on the excellent condition reel especially with an old Garcia rod with the deal. I like the looks of the reels and have been outbid several times on ebay. Abu

7. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Bearcat... I just seen the photos you posted, I must have missed that auction. I think the reels look awesome, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :) Abu

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I like the looks of the reel also. I dont care if they have any resale value. I bought it to add to my collection . I will probably hang it on the wall in my sports/TV room. It needs more fishing decor any way.

By the way thanks for the info of line capcity and such.

9. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Hi Bearcat... I found the auction from your photos. Looks like these reels are going for more cash than a few months ago. Now I have got to have one and I will probably never fish with it either. :)
    Abu

10. jimgardner

jimgardner New Member

State:
    SC
    I just stumbled upon this post and I have a matching pair of Garcia Mitchell 624 reels just as described. I am interested in selling them. Let me know if there is any interest. Thanks, James.