Garcia Ambassadeur questions...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by nralover, Mar 12, 2009.

1. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Guys, is there a website detailing the different models and variations of the ambassadeur? If not, can someone tell me what the difference is between the modern c3/c4 and the plain jane red ambassadeur? It is a cheaper reel, but does it have any real shortcomings that can't be fixed?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Very good question,,
    What I use is the schematics from www.abugarcia.com.
    I don't know if that is what you're really looking for, but, having the schematics and comparing part #'s, will help out maybe.. You'll need foot #'s for some, it's good to have the first 4 digits of the # stamped on the bottom of the foot.
    Also, there's a bunch of other folks that know a LOT of info about these..

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    In a nutshell, bearings instead of bushings. That, and the c4 is a faster reel.

There's not a thing wrong with a red 6000...it doesn't need "fixing"...ready to fish, right out of the box.

I'll take it a step farther: for the money, I'd rather have a 6000 w/bushings than any of these clones/wannabes/johnniecomelatelys that you find in blister packs @ ChinaMart, I don't care how many bearings they say they have.

4. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I have two 6000's that are 40 years old. They are still as good today as when I bought them, and I use them every trip. Never found the bushings to be a problem.

5. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Well, my local store bought a ton of them and are putting them on clearance for 49.95. I prefer left hand retrieve, but I guess for catfishing purposes where I am not using crankbaits and such it isn't an issue. Perhaps I should grab one or two? By the way, I don't see the standard 6000 on the Abu website. Does anyone know why?

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Abu makes a ton of different reels, and it seems like half of them are never listed on their website, for whatever reasons. It's not just the cheaper ones either, they don't list their crome versions, a lot of the Big Game models, etc.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    One caution: GA has built some cheaper Ambassadeurs for places like WM.

I don't know how these are identified or designated, but someone who does is bound to jump in here.

A real deal 6000 would be a very good value @ $50.

8. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Well, the ones at my store are marked "made in sweden" if that means anything...

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Avoid the BCX models and you should be fine. An Abu 5600 or 6600BCX has nothing in common with their other products but the Brand name stamped on the reel. As far as I know, the 6000's are all good.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm with everybody else on the liking of the bushings over the bearings. The problem with the bearings, are that they are NOT sealed, add a little saltwater & sand....and you've got problems quickly !!

There's one of our suppliers that carries some of the bearings that are completely sealed, but they are big $$$, in comparison to the standard ones.

11. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Bearings aren't that big of deal in a reel for catfishing or other types of fishing where you aren't casting and retrieving continously. They're the least of my concerns for a reel that might get casted 10 times during an outing.

12. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Good call:)

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/create_account.php?osCsid=f475f8c4f323270b0fbe07e82ade4a0a

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/lane/4448/models/4000d_5000d.html

http://www.castawaylakes.com/Reels.html

http://www.realsreels.com/reels/ambassadeur/default.aspx

Here you go..bro..You should find what you need..:wink:

Mikes have the sealed bearings.

14. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    FFO-TACKLE.com has a lot of "not seen in catalogs" such as the pro rockets,and chrome models.They carry factory reconditioned reels at a good price.If the ad dont say made in sweden,,it aint made in sweden..Its a good site to just look at and see the different reels..I have bought 2 reconditioned 5600c4 a few years back and have had no problems with them,couldnt tell em from the new ones I had bought.I wish they still made the 5600c4 with the clicker.

15. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    Hi Sorry i dont have a website for you. 6000 usually runs on bushings and c3 means 3 bearings and 4 means one more at the levelwind. most can be upgraded, I have one reel with one bushing and one bearing so that the saltwater can get into the more exposed side. If theres no need to cast far ( probably not judging from the thicker lines) theres probably no shortcomings.

16. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just opened a new Garcia 7000i red today and was really disappointed to see a Made In China sticker on the bottom.:eek:oooh:

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Jay,
    All of mine are made in china,,, and someone posted awhile back that the 7000's have been for some time,,,
    I own about 10 of them, and they all work real good. I think that Abu Garcia's quality control in firmly in place!! I've had no problems at all with them.

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm sure there is a lot of opinions floating around about bearings verses bushings, so hear is mine.. Flathead fishing for me is a close in sport. I'm fishing close to shore or close to a log jam or heavy structure, casting distance is less important than accuracy. When fighting a Big Old Flathead you fight it with the rod more than the reel anyway and the reel is just a storage place for extra line if the fish makes a hard long run. To me the drag on the reel and line is much more important than whether it has bearings or bushings. When fighting a big catfish I lift up and crank down, just like you do while deep sea fishing.

19. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Also, Jay,,, Welcome to the BOC!!:smile2:

20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ya' what he said!! LOL, I was gonna post a couple of the same links. look into the realsreals link there's links to other books and stuff about abu's history. Some are concerned about the ones made in chine. I won't judge either way. But I will say this. "I have about 400 pounds worth of ambassadeur reels, and not one is made in china, or taiwan"..