Garcia 6500 C3 reel for Lake Monticello blue catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flying_v_64, Dec 2, 2008.

1. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm going to Bass Pro this weekend to purchase a Garcia 6500 C3 reel.
    Will this reel handle Monty's big blues? Also, any rod recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks:0a36:

2. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I may be biased, but I'm really partial to the 7.5ft Shakespeare UglyCat rods. They hold up well and have great flexibility.

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think any wide spool garcia will hold up just fine, as for rods you got as many options as you will get opinions. I have 6 ft and 7ft ugly sticks and a few 7 ft eagle claw rods and never had any trouble. I believe unless you are fishing heavy cover or need to make real long casts, a 6 or 7 ft rod is fine. all of mine are med. heavy action. the flattie in my avatar was caught of a garcia 5000 narrow spool with 17 lb test line and a 6 ft bass rod. and I am sure there has been larger fish caught on less. just get what you can afford and what you feel the most comfortable with.

4. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the abu 6500 and the 7000 will work just fine but also check out bass pros cat maxx reel and as far as a rod I prefer 7ft med/hev action rods I am not a big fan of shakespeare I use the silstar catmaster rods and also like the eagle claw rods :wink:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have plenty of the Berkley big game rods. They work just fine for me and they are very affordable

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I prefer the 7' Med/Heavy Eagle Claw rods myself,I have a few of the Shakespeare Ugly Stick 7' Med/Heavy and they are pretty good,for the money both of those rods are hard to beat,If you wanna spend a little more I would go with the Tiger Rods.
    As far as the 6500 C3 it will handle just about anything,I have 6 of em and never had any problems with em.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use the Berkley Big Game rods also, 6' 6" medium heavy. Never had a failure thus far. I like their white color for night fishin' too. Yes, the 6500s will handle your needs, though a 7000 wouldn't be a bad choice for Monty.
    Bill in SC

8. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    6500's with 40# line matched with TIGER ugly stick LITE 14-40 # class rods (cork handle ones)

Unless its JAWS you can haul them in. 72#'s was our biggest with this set up-handles them real well <---pun intended.

Curt

9. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    I'll second all this Marty said.:wink: And remember to check your drag at Monty. Them big'uns there will test ya on that, you can count on it.

10. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    The 6500 is a nice reel.

11. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just to get the wheels spinning I'll pitch in here. I have 6 of the 6500 C3's and they are nice. Absolutely perfect, nothing wrong with them and I love them. But.....here's the but......I also have 2 7000's. I personally have told myself I won't buy another 6500 because for the difference in money, it is worth it to just get the 7000's. Just my take and this is from a guy who def. isn't an expert. I like the 7000's better because they are (obviously) more heavy duty, hold more line (i like this advantage especially when I am drifting and let out alot of line), a little smoother, and cast better (not that the 6500's don't cast good, the 7000's are just better). For the extra money, if you can swing it then I would recommend the 7000. As for rods, I use the Quantum Big Cat, 71/2 foot MH. They were recommended to me by a friend and for the money they are sweet. You can hold the big fish off the bottom when you have to and you can still wing em when you need to. I also like the Berkly glowstiks. I'm not sure how many people will agree with me on this one though. Hope this helps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Brian

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....I'm going to Bass Pro this weekend to purchase a Garcia 6500 C3 reel. Will this reel handle Monty's big blues?...."

An Abu Garcia 6500 will handle any catfish in North America.

I have 4-6500's, and 6-5000's. These reels have pulled cats up to 55 pounds out of many lakes, including Monty.

13. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Just ordered a Ugly Stick Tiger rod (MH) for my new 6500CL. What do you guys think of this set-up?

14. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've got the same 8ft rod with my penn 4/0. Use it for big cats/sharks/bull reds. Its a great rod. And i've got a 6500 on a big cat 7.5 rod and it works great. SO you should have a great setup with that package.

later...
    Ron

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like a DEADLY combo. Good luck witit.

16. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro

nothing beats the tigers---I use the lites (cork handles fit in driftmasters much better)
    Curt

17. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Recieved my Ugly Stick Tiger today. Bolted on the 6500CL. Rod is a bit bulky but feels like it will haul in a brute. Can't wait to give it a shot!
    Next time I think i'll go with the Tiger lite model.
    :big_smile::0a23::smile2:

18. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    These Reels will handle the big blues. I use the Penn Power Rods in 7' Med heavy at 59.00 I have had mine for along time now and am very pleased with them

19. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    thats a sweet setup, you'll be happy with it!

20. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have medium heavy Tigers on my 6500's and I love the setup. The tip has a lot of sensitivity and it also has some backbone to it. I have only seen fish in the 20's caught on my setup but it handled them with ease. Enjoy!