GARCIA 3000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catman-j, Feb 18, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I was going through some extra fishing stuff in my storage and came across this old reel. When I fish for cats I prefer open face reels with rear drag. I back off the drag usually 6 clicks so the fish won't pull my pole in the lake. This garcia has the drag adjustment on the spool. In fact the spool has a push button release to take the spool off. I bet it is a good reel but I wonder is it worth anything? I'm thinking about cleaning it up and putting it on a new rod. How does everyone fish with reels that don't make it easy to turn drag off and on?

2. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Jeff if your talking about the garcia mitchel 300 spinning reels (black), they were built like a tank and gave me many years of service. It was all I used before I started using baitcasters. I would loosen the drag on the the front so my rod and reel wouldn't get pulled in the water. As far as what its worth, if you have the original papers, box, spare spool and the reel is in mint condition, its worth alot. You have only to check them out on ebay. If it shows a little wear and tear clean it up and put it on a rod and go catch a big cat with it. Mike

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Thanks Mike. All I have is the reel. I'll be looking for a rod probably. I just got married in November and my wife is new to fishing but looking forward to going with me. I might set up the rod for her to use.

4. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    jeff them are tough old reels i used them for years.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Get a decent rod holder, and you won't have to jack with the drag.:tounge_out:

Edit: I wouldn't even think about using braid on a 300. They were bad to eat light mono...can't imagine braid.