Garage Door Opener

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Patmansc, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Help! On days when it's cold (like 40 or below), my garage door only goes about 1/2 way down and then stops, like it has hit something, and then it goes back up. Some days, there is no getting it to go down unless I do it manually. Any ideas as to what may be going on & how to fix it? Thanks for your help.

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    there should be 2 setting screws on it. One is for up and the other is for down. My neighbor's was doing the same thing. The setting might be set too low. Turn the screw up to increase pressure it takes to stop the door from opening or closing.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats correct. Those two settings adjust the tension that the door will push or pull before it rejects. (that was not explained very well:0a35:) and stops or reverses direction.

Anyway, pull the rope to disengage it and make sure it will travel fully up and down without binding also. I would then lube the tracks a bit with a something light like maybe WD-40 or even white lithium grease in a spray can, or graphite, you get the idea.

But as long as all else is fine those tension settings are your best bet.

This is a common occurence.

Also, watch it closely during operation to make sure the sprocket shaft on the motor (if it is chain-driven) isn't bent or wobbling from bad bushings.

There........ have I blabbed enough?:0a26:

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks, guys - I've taken your advice & made the suggested adjustments. Let's see how she works now :big_smile: