Gar ???

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by SteelWolve, Jun 11, 2008.

1. SteelWolve

SteelWolve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey all I just read the thread on Gar and had a ?. (didn't want to hijack the thread) Anyways how do you really tell the difference between the bites, my buddy and I kinda use it as a running joke, if we miss a fish "musta been a Gar":wink: Do you tell by the bait? (bite mark pattern) Tell by the type of bite? (hit hard then just let go) Or can you tell by the way the gar lets go of the bait? I know it probably hard to explain and something thats not an exact science but figured Id ask.

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    usually if they have the bait in their mouth, they tend to swim upstream, so if you see your slack line going upstream and no hard fast bite it might be a gar!!!!

3. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've noticed alot of times they will come up to the top with your bait.Nothing like setting the hook and see your bait go past you or hit you in the head lol.

4. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    In my experience, gars (speaking soley about needle nose gars here) do one of two things, either pick bait up and swim away with it without bending the rod, you'll actually sit there and watch your line start swimming away, or the other thing is, they hit the bait at mach 40 and seem to always run to the surface. But I like your theory better - if you miss a fish - must have been a gar LOL!

Funny thing is, since I started using circle hooks, I have landed about 6 of them, ranging from 2 foot to 5 foot long.

5. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    from my experiences, when a gar takes my bait it swims towards the boat. I only notice i have a bite because of the slack in the line. Also, they do not seem to fight much for me until they see the boat. Then they take off and can be pretty fun to catch.

6. Kerplunkd

Kerplunkd New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Gonna have to agree with MSgt Catfish on this one 100%. Seen it too many times myself. Seems I could place first in any GARFISHING tournament if there were such a thing! :smile2:

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I usually don't know until my rod is headed toward the water. When I fish on the rocks, theres no good place to put a rod holder. So I rely on fast reflexes. Only mine aren't that dependable. So I'm usually running on rocks trying not to lose another rod and reel. However, when I try to catch gar intentionally, I can't seem to hook up. Since this is the gar section, what do people mean when they say roll the guts while cleaning. I am not familiar with this. With other fish, I filet them, skin them,and leave the guts intact. I wanna try eating one, but I don't wanna get sick. Especially from lack of knowledge.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The only thing that would make you sick from eating a gar to my knoweledge would be the eggs ,I have heard that they should never be eaten ,They are poisones

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    when I've had gar hit (and I could see them) they would pick up the scent of the cut bait, grab hold of it and shake around with it. The times that I caught them, they would spin like a gator and wrap the mono up in their teeth. Other than that you can tell by the bite pattern. You'll see a good line of teeth on your bait and if it was live it'll be dead as heck. They will also hit closer to the surface (most of my hits came from bobber fishing with cut or live bait). But I would say if you don't have any of the clues, especially no marks on your bait, no line cut after not too much tension at all, and no vision of what is taking your bait, then you'll never know what kind of fish it was.

10. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    The running joke with me and my Pop is "If it wasn't a Gar it was a turtle!!!" LOL!!! :crazy::smile2::crazy::wink:

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    The few gar that I have caught have never been hooked. They get their teeth tangled up in the leader line, is that normal? I did real in a solidly hooked bottom jaw of a gar once, the rest of the fish was gone. My gar have always darted into view persuing my bait at high speed, so I always knew what was biting. Probably no useful info for you there just wanted to chime in.

Richard

12. cbaker7

cbaker7 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    ha ive been hit in the head with bait before haha