GAR

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Double L, May 31, 2009.

1. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    ok guys I did something I said I would never do! I fried up some gar, and I will have to say it is actually very tasty! it is a little hard to get the meat out of but it is worth the effort. my oldest son says it is better then catfish.

2. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've heard that before, same with buffalo and sturgeon. Can't say I've ever tried it, although I was really hammered one night when we were bank fishing next to a campfire and bit the head off a big shad on a dare. Didn't taste all that good, reminded me of biting into a big pickle :eek:oooh:. Chris

3. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    Thats Funny!

4. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gar is very good until it gets cold.

5. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Gar is not a total trash fish. <lol> I know many would say no to that. I have never tried gar and would give it a go once. They do get on my nerves sometimes stealing bait, but that just tells me to have fun with some gar or move on to another spot. I like to have fun catching one or two at times before moving on.

6. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    I used some good tin snips ,cut behind the head straight down to the belly, do the same back in front of the tail 4 or 5 inches then cut down the middle of the back then You can start peeling the shell off, it is easier with 2 people 1 pull while the other uses a knife to cut the meat away from the armour plate of skin they have, after that just cut the meat away from the body just like any other fish, then cook it welldone and eat hot.

7. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri

Yesterday was a great day for fishing in the ozarks. Perfict weather. I caught a 3foot gar a 4lb and 1.5lb channel cat and a 16 inch whopper smallmouth on my afternoon float. Flipped my kayak and lost my fishing pole , got my camera wet and lost my phone. It was a really good float up to that point.