Gar with a hand net

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Catmaster, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Last year I was setting out at the KG&E dam while the river was up and the water was flowing over the wall and down around the other side. The water was only about a foot deep where the water was flowing back into the river and the gar were trying to swim against the current and when they would get close i could scoop them up with a hand net. We ended catching 8 gar with the net.

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    What did you do with them?

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    There is a huge farm pond that my uncle owns that I stock with carp flathead channel and gar.
    I have some huge flathead in there now. I bet there are some 30-40 pound fish in that pond.

4. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    in pa that will land you a 500 dollar fine....but that lake youre talking about sounds like heaven

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i dont think i would put gar into any water that i wanted to fish. i hate the things and do my best to clear them out of our pvt tanks. everytime it floods the creek that goes through my dads property it restocks these tanks with flatheads channels and gar. it also seems to let all the bass out of tank. I will sit on the tank dam and shoot a 45-70 at the gar.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i was setting banklines in oklahoma when a gar swam up the creek i was on... i dead centered him with my .45 from 2 feet away... it was awesome!

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    thats the right attitude!!

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    "A .45 from two feet away"?:eek:oooh:

I bet you were soaked from head to foot after that! Musta been one heckuva splash!:lol:

Anyway, a .45 sounds kind of heavy for gar. Surely a .22 mag would be more sporting.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    .22 mag will definitely do the job, but it was a spur of the moment thing, and my .45 goes where i go! :wink:
    oh and yeah i got nice and wet... this creek is about 15 feet wide at the widest point. i think it comes off the washita river or goes into it, maybe the canadian? the place was in blanchard, ok. anyway, the cats come up the creek at night foraging and we have hooked some pretty nice ones in 4 or 5 feet of water.
    -jordan