Gar tips.

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Catfish_Scooter, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was wandering if anyone could let me in on some good gar tips and what things to look for while fishing on a bank. All help appreciated.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    although that sounds stupid, i actually know a guy that caught a 24" muskie and he lipped it. then screamed and yelled, and asked why i didnt tell him not to do that. i thought the sharp teeth were a good indicator of why not to stick your finger in its mouth but for that guy it wasn't.

to be honest AJ, i see them sunning in the deep holes all the time, i would just stick to areas like that. use some white jigs and bucktails. ive never really targeted just gar, but im thinking of giving it a try just to change things up and thats what i am going to try. seems like white attracts them quite a bit.

3. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    I've never actually fished for gar but earlier this summer me and a buddy were bass fishing an old oxbow after a hard rain and there was a ditch with a ton of water flowing out of it. There were gar everywhere. I tied on a 1/2 ounce rooster tail and we caught quite a few. They weren't real big but I found that if I let them run with it for a bit after they hit I hooked a lot more. Hope this helps out in any way at all.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In rivers look for them in slow moving water, you will see them suface alot, they love fresh cut bait..I would use a smaller hook than you would for catfish do to there skinny mouths, they can be very hard to hook...I have also caught them on jigs.

these are the longnose gar. in my area, biggest I have caught is around 50 inches long, they dont wegh alot, I think my 50 inch fish weighed 15-lbs.

On heavy catfish tackle they dont put up much of a fight, but on medium or light weight tackle they can be fun.

We dont have the much bigger aligator gar here.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the responses bros. Yeah i've always heard that they will readily strike minnows when they are active, but lures would be easier for me.:wink:

6. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    They make a lure for gar. It just a piece of nylon thats frayed all the way. Lot of people use them with success. I made my own and not had much luck with them. They like to grab the bait and swim off, they get the nylon tangled up in their teeth and can't let go of it. Cut bait with a steel leader I have used with more success. Mainly I bowfish for them.

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    They'll hit minnow-style crankbaits. I've always heard that cut-bait is good as well. They're usually more active at night, and they often swim just below the surface. Good luck.