Gar roe as bait ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by airdrop, Nov 17, 2009.

1. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It was suggested useing Gar roe as a catfish bait an how it works very good. So got interested and looked up ways to cure the roe like Trout eggs are done. Go to www.steelheader.net/bait/curing_roe.htm for several ways to making up bait. Has anyone tried roe before to catch those cats???

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    tried channel cat eggs once ine toe of a stocking...gills beat it up..didnt try it again

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Never used it for bait. Be careful of Gar roe because it is poison if you eat it.

Welcome to the BOC

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Back in the late 1960'S I found a cove full of gar spawning in Beaver lake, Ar, I landed a numer of channels that were under the gar eating the eggs, Dirt dobber is right on the eggs are poisn

5. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    take the gar eggs out of the egg sac, mix gently with brown sugar then put wax paper on a cookie sheet or cake pan and pour mixture in till 1 inch deep.
    cover with cheese cloth. put bait outside in the sun till almost dry , then score with a sharp knife making 1 inch squares

mix eggs and sugar 1 to 1.
    cheese cloth is to keep flies out of it
    when it gets like rubber it is ready to use
    channell cats will yank your pole in the water so be ready

during the gar spawn there is no better bait to be had.

bill

6. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    im going to try it out this summer.

7. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sugar is a germ killer it has been used for battlefield wounds before, so the sugar egg curing is very good idea plus I bet the sweetness helps some to. thanks for the idea.