Gar rant

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by coyotechromez, May 18, 2009.

1. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    My ol' man went out to burlington downtown "spillway", where it comes off John Redmond. He caught 11 gar and 2 drum, now the drum have always been there, but 11 gar in two hours! We used to slam the catfish there now you can't keep your bait on the hook long enough to get the kitties biting. Liver, stink bait, worms, even shrimp, the gar ate, WTF! Thanks for listening guys.

PS anyone have a good spot for limb lines, I do not keep limb liners unless gut hooked. Don't give up your best spots but maybe some near the Topeka area.
    Thanks
    Wylie

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

a guy on here got me eating gar i think there great,catch them boil them in crab boil drain put in fridge and chill dip in cocktail sauce eat your gar problem away..lol tastes kinda like lobster

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

How do you clean them?

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Use tin snips or heavy duty scissors and cut just under the skin starting at the head and going just past the dorsal........top center. Cut the same way down each side right about where the color changes on their body. I then take catfish pliers and grab at the corner of the first cut and yank, the hide will pull the length of your cut........do the same on the other side. the meat is next to the spine, on top of the ribs........cut it out and trim off any gray flesh you see(tastes bad). I cook it up like Tom says, just be sure and chunk the meat up smaller than you think is right as it will swell when boiled............poorman's lobster.

Tuttlecat may have some input on this as has also been involved in various gar cleaning schemes:crazy::wink::crazy:.

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    How is it fried or grilled?

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If you don't want to eat them, and want to keep them from stealing bait, catch one, snap its neck, cut him down the gut from throat to tail, and lye him in the water just far enough for the blood and guts to float.

Won't stop them completely, but will definately slow them down. Don't ask me why or how, I just know it is an old trick from one of the best catmen to ever wet a hook.:wink:

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I just came from the river and the gar are stacked in there like sardines in a can.I never have a problem with them bothering my bait but they were all over on my line.I'm glad to see them because that means the water is finally warm enough for flatheads to move up to the dams.I caught one 8 lb. flathead so they're starting.When it comes to cleaning gar I lay them on a board and chop them into chunks with an ax and then just run my knife between skin and meat and then just cut meat into whatever size pieces I want.They are real good deep fried too.:smile2:

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    One of the best ways to solve an overpopulation problem is to develop a
    taste for the critter you'd like to see less of. Yeah, I know. Spoken like
    a fat man who solves most of his problems by eating something.

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    never ate one, but they sure are fun to hunt with a spotlight and bow. Just recently a guy around here got a 200 pound allagator gar.

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Go down to 435 in July Troy, youll get plenty of them. :smile2:

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have observed, that gar don't bite at NIGHT. During hot late spring/summer times, I fish NIGHTS to avoid heat, gars and turtles. Flatties seem to prowl more at night too.

Bill in SC

12. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Around here time don't matter they eat 30 hours a day:roll_eyes: it seems if not more. Lol

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I figured there were exceptions to the rule, but fortunately for us, they turn OFF at night. We only have long nose gar. That may be why. Are you referring to Alligator gars biting at night, or gars in general?

Bill in SC

14. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No he is referring to long nose gar. They bite all day and night. Once the water is warm. Sometimes you have to up and move spots around here if your using live bait.

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Ray, it's pretty chewy when fried. Never have tried it grilled, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather spend my time on some nice center cut loin chops:big_smile:.

The texture is different, not like fish, can't think of anything to compare it to. It ain't bad, but their not real high on my grocery list.

16. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I'm willing to try just about anything once, might just have to give Gar a whirl.
    The last time I went Gar fishn on purpose was with a 45-70,....wernt much left to clean.:wink:

17. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Same thing here in the kaskaskia river . They bite day and night shallow and deep .

18. ks_catman

ks_catman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Cut them gars with a meat saw or hack saw the short way and use a knife to cut the meat out from inside the hide.

19. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    the old kalashnikov will make short work of 'em. A little 7.62 x 39 will go a long way. Nah just kidding. Yeah they do eat them in Louisiana but a lotta cajuns will eat dog-doo if you put enough hot sauce on it.Seriously I have alotta fun throwing a 1-2 oz jigging spoon with a big ole treble on the back and snagging them take a file and sharpen the hooks. Use a lighter spoon for shallower water.They fight pretty good if you get a 4 or 5 footer. Our best day we caught 104 gar with 3 guys in the boat. You would hook one on almost every cast. Just carry an extra baitcaster rigged up already.If the game warden asks I've got it rigged for hybrids and walleyes.You might catch some of them on accident too.I caught an 8 pound wiper earlier this year fishing for gar at LOZ.If you are going to handle them you will need some heavy duty leather work gloves and a pair of 8 inch needle nose pliers. Be careful you can get a nasty infection from all those teeth.