Gar Question

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by ut1trey, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    I was striper fishing the French Broad River below Douglas Dam back during the summer. We were planer boarding live rainbow trout and were having a decent day with the stripes. But I also caught a 48 inch longnose gar. It is the only one that I have personally seen around East TN. I was fishing with a stirper guide and he had never seen one either. My question is are they common around these parts and are they mainly in the rivers or lakes. I would love to catch more of these wild looking fish.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i know they are common in kentucky and most states.... we seem to have more in the river from my experience...however if you want gar info there is a section on the home page dedicated just to gar fishing... i think you will find some of the information in there very useful in catching mister long beak...

3. festus

festus New Member

Keep going to MH Dam, Trey, and you'll catch one of those toothy critters. I caught one about the same size you did back in the spring at the point on that little cove to the left of the dam below the sidewalk. It hit a crappie jig. I saw another fellow about midway down that cove catch 2 the same day, one was about 4' and the other was about 5'. They were generating that day, and I think he caught his on small jigs, also.

4. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    They are very common in Mid. Tn lakes and rivers.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    one of the cooler ways i have heard people catching them is on a gar jig...basically it is a piece of shredded nylon rope with a weighted head and they jig/swim it through the water and the gar will hit it and get their teeth caught in the rope. they dont even use hooks...

i have caught most of my gar on small jigs usually white...

6. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Yeah, Jeremy I've heard about that from my dad. He lives on the lake in South Carolina and they have a ton of gar there. He said a lot of bass fisherman hate them and that he's actually heard of guys just catching them to kill them (breaking their bills and or duck taping their mouth closed and throwing them back). I don't know if there is any truth to it, but if there is, is seems pretty cruel in my opinion. I think they are a pretty cool fish myself.

7. festus

festus New Member

Last spring I found two dead gar on the bank on the downstream side of the RR tracks at Bull Run Steam Plant. Or at least I thought they were dead. Got there early in the morning, and a couple hours later, one of them started flopping around. Finally they started smelling bad, and I kicked them both back in the water and the wind and current carried them away. I hear that Kingston, Bull Run, and John Sevier Steam Plants won't generate this winter. But if they do decide to get back online, wait until the weather warms a bit next spring and hit one of those steam plants.

8. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Thanks for the link, there is a lot of good info there, Jeremy. It seems a lot of other people have the same opinion I do on gar.

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Alligator gar is a protected species in Tennessee..It is illegal to kill them..Spotted,shortnose and longnose are not protected..Personally I have yet to even see a gar here..Back home in Louisiana they are very common and I have been bowfishing for them and landed one 110 lbs..

10. festus

festus New Member

Yep, I don't think you have the alligator gar in Middle TN, Les, but they do have them in West TN along the mighty Mississip. You got the longnose and spotted gar like we do.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They are common in the cumberland river.

12. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We have both the Aligator and regular type gar here in the Johnsonville area. They will come into some of the marinas that have big lights around the water and feed all night. They some time use the big aluminum commercial type boats and bow fish at night. Being brought up in a commercial fishing family I have seen all kinds of fish. I know this sounds like a fish story but there is a place around reynoldsburg island that when I was a kid 12 to 16 that (62 now)when the gar are spawning that they will jump up in front of the loaded barges ,don't know why ,guess just for the hell of it. They will land out on the rack end of the barge and the deckhands will kick them back in.
    Back then we made our commercial fishing boats in the winter. they were always about 16 to 18 ft long. I was helping Mr Renzo Parnell run his trot lines one time (never forget) he said he thought he was hung ,he was up front and I was idling the motor up stream .I looked down back there and a big ass swirll came up and then a tail, I looked up at Mr. Renzo and he was getting the butcher knife from under the front of the boat. he pulled one more good time and all of a sudden all you could see was GAR all the way from where I was at the motor to where he reached and cut the lead line at the front. I know yall think I just telling one but this is the truth. Any of you ever seen a Grenal fish?

13. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Gar are cool fish and I even have one in a fish tank. That being said it seems to me they are way overpopulated in the kansas river where I fish. I get SO tired of having to rebait or re-tie because of those dang fish. I think the problem is a lot of people keep catfish and that is what there fishing for. The gar are way underfished, and almost always either unhook themselves or are released on site. So as far as people being cruel and throwing them on the bank, I dont even shake my head at it. If all anyone fishes out of the rivers are catfish the gar will eventually take over. Gar eat anything and everything including the food supply of the highly sought after flathead and bluecat . It was a lot of fun catching the first few. Now I'm just kind of sick of it. Although someday I would love to go to texas and get a 200 lb Gator Gar.:big_smile:

14. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    they are in sc lakes an rivers by the tousands

15. festus

festus New Member

Them big alligator gar are still there, I didn't realize how far west you are, Phillip. Where Johnsonville drops off the plateau, you're low enough for them to swim in from the low country. We got the longnose and spotted up here. Does anybody know how far east the big alligaor gar are in TN? I've seen the longnose about 5-1/2' to 6'.

16. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i have got them on gar jugs which is pretty much a 5 in or so piece of nylon rope combed out i get the rope from menards and tie a bank sinker in my line and wrap the rope around it and zip tie it on the weight...or i have got them snaging...i use the rope in the missouri river it is illegal to snag in the mizzo so i cant snagg them i wish i could though!!!they are very almost too common on the mizzo!!!

17. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee

Man ur lucky we got so many here that at times ya cant fish with anything alive because the gar will get it. They hit ur shad or skipjack on the fall befoe it reaches bottom. It's common for us to see 50 -100 on barkley in a day especially in the dog days of summer.

18. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Ibmeubu the grennal fish is called a bowfin around here lol, got some thumb scars from lipping em in the boat at night ( thought they was bass) very common in south ga but here in tennesse they are here but i never saw anyone catch more than 2 in 1 day.

19. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't think i have seen a Grennal sinse I was 10 or 12 ,50years ago. they do have a set of teeth and built like a brick,very mean