Gar pics

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by F150Catfish, Jan 12, 2007.

1. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
  2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    nice fish thaks for sharing we dont see many gar pics and i enjoy getting to see them

3. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thanks for sharing bro, never caught a gar but I love to see pics of them.

Wheelmobile07

4. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I dont like catchin them all the time but they sure can be fun. Thanks for sharing

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thats awesome... I saw a huge one the other week in the river (don't see many surface at all in the cold weather) It came up right next to the boat and I would've said it was a medium sized gator-gar, but the longnose definately gave it away... about 5'6" long and about as big around as a 1 gallon milk jug!!!! Also I've seen 4-5 footers jump clear out of the water while hitting baitfish on the surface! :cool2: Can't wait for them when the water warms!

6. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have caught gar and often when that was not my goal. Now, I want to catch a big longnose like in the pics and an alligator gar. We have a lot of small gar, but I cannot find a large one. Also, I want to eat one if large enough. The alligator gar, I just want to photograph and release. Anyone up for a trip or have advise for alligator gar in July or August????? Hannibal Mike

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thanks for the pics man. I love to see gar pics when there are some on here which isnt too often thank you.

8. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Yea, I have seen alot 4 to 5 footer too. It's hard to find big longnose gar. well that alligator gar is heavy and need heavy tackles.. some guys said use 2 pound drumfish or other rough fish for as alligator gar bait.. well alligator gar grow up to 250 pound.. Theres some spots in Arkansas, Alligator gar swimming low mississippi river or white river in Arkansas.. I really want to catch that alligator gar someday...

9. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I would like fishing alligator gar this summer too but I have to see whats going on as while. I have seen 4 to 5 footer longnose gar swimming around dock in Arkansas. I alway go to Arkansas every summer for cafishing... Alligator gar can grab about 2pound drumfish or other rough fish.. live or cutbait too... well I need heavy tackles for that too... gator gar are too heavy and it rough fighting...

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like catching gar during the dog days of summer. I have some gar pics around the house. I'll post them if I find them.

11. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea, that's cool, if you find them then post it here too. I want to see other gar you caught too.. :smile2:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the Gar Pics. These pictures reminded me of a bass fishing trip on the Ohio at the Smithland Pool. We came upon a sandbar north of the dam and the Gar was stacked up. We were throwing Chrome/Blue Bagley crankbaits. And the Gar loved it.We caught Several, Tore up and lost some crankbaits and finally decided to quit when one of the boarded gar slashed a Ranger Boat Seat. Fun but Expensive.

13. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Ok well the picture may be a little hard to figure out, but if you see on the left hand side there is my fly rod, then the fly line going down towards the gar. No clue what the black spot was on the lens but disregard it...:wink: It was a small shortnose gar about 2 pounds, but he jumped like a tarpon! Caught him on a typical bream foam fly with #6 treble hook trailer.

2nd pic is a typical spotted gar out of "the clear spot" Which really fills with gar when the water is not clear, haha kind of ironic...

3rd picture is my first longnose caught last summer, 6 pounds, didn't get a length on it. I had hooked about 20 but was still experimenting on how to hook them with cutbait.:confused2: Also kinda started going for them at the end of the "season" so they became rare in the little area of the river I fished.

Attached Files:

14. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    those are both awesome fish. my biggest was about 7 lbs. dang I need a scale.:sad2:

15. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    That's awesome pics, someday you will catch big gar.. :cool2: I don't catch big gar often, someday I was lucky and landed 50" longnose gar and it started wild and did not calm down so my grandpa took hammer and hit gar's head so it keep calm down. well I don't know to do with this 50" gar so my grandpa said we should take it to taxidermy so well now I have my 50" gar mounted on wall. I will take camera and shot it and post it later or tomorrow. Thank for sharing pics!:smile2:

16. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Thats awesome, and yea, I noticed a hammer on the ground in the background with blood all over teh gar's head, kinda put two and two together, haha. I'de love to see that mount!

17. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Here's a pic of a Gar that I caught fishing with Vern and Chuck, last year. I think that it crossed every line that we had out before I finally got it in the boat. Sometimes they can be a annoying when they keep pecking at the bait. But it sure is fun when you hook into a big one!

Attached Files:

18. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    lol I see that, that's nice gar! :cool2:

19. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I love the mount! Truly a 50" gar on the wall will get tons more attention than a wimpy ole largemouth!:tounge_out:
    Here in Lafayette there is a cajun restaurant called Prejean's and they got a 140 or so pound gator gar mounted up on the wall... HUGE!