Gar on the Red River

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by patric3069, May 16, 2007.

1. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    When is the best time to fish for gar on the Red River?
    Anyone spent time searching for these things?

2. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    I've never actually fished for gar but a few weeks ago while pulling out of teague i saw a fellow pulling in with a boat decked out for bow fishing gar he had it covered with flood lights and both an outboard and air motor. So to answer your question I believe night time is the best for gar.

3. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    How are you planning on fishing for them Patrick? Are you bow fishing or using a rod and reel?

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    From what I know, the best gar times are when its very hot...and usually when nothing else is willing to bite... Look for them surfacing and you'll know you're on them. They have to breathe air, so if you aren't seeing them roll most likely there are none or only a few.

5. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'll be using a rod. Air? Never occured to me they didn't use gills. I'll have to look into that. I plan on stopping by BassPro and purchasing all the necessary gear....once I know what the hell to buy.

6. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    We used to snag gar (and a lot of other stuff) when I was a youngster in LA. Of course you need a good swift current to snag, and I'm not even sure if it is legal any more. There was a place called "Kitterlin Creek Bay" that would have water flow through the culverts in the dam at times, and I've seen folks snag bluegills there.

Will

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Just a few weekends ago, my husband & I were setting out trot lines out of Bishop's Point & saw a boat all rigged up with really bright lights...sounded like an airboat. They were fishing around the little island out in front of Bishop's landing. You might also check w/Wareagle on our Louisiana Red River thread. He does some bow fishing, too. I'm sure he could give you some tips!

8. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I'm not quite sure where Bishop's Point is located. Where can I find some good maps of the River; preferably including hydrographical, so I can view current and depth?

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    You can get maps at BPS. You have to look for, cause they keep movin em around.

10. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Appreciate it! My old man is stopping by there at lunch for me (I won't be leaving Germany for another 3wks). I'll see if he can get me a map of the Red and of 12 mile Bayou. There might be some gator gar in that bayou that need to be tested.

11. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    They don't just breathe air from the surface. They have a primitive lung but also respirate through their gills. This lung has to respirate every few minutes, depending on the fish's activity, which, on the respiration, they surface and gulp air before returning to the depths....:wink:

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bishop's is about 16-20 miles south of Shreveport on Hwy1; it's at Lock & Dam #5. There's a real nice free boat ramp & plenty of good parking there. Not fancy, but a real good road & a covered pavilion, if you need to get out of the sun!

13. MikeYoungs

MikeYoungs New Member

State:
    La.
    Patrick, I assume you will be fishing near Shreveport. If you want to fish for gar, get a 13 foot rod and a good size reel that will hold 40 lb. test line. You can get the whole set up at Academy for around $50. You will also need several 3 oz. weights and several #8/0 treble hooks. I'm not sure if Academy sells the hooks, but you can pick some up at Clarks boat launch on the way to lock and dam # 5. If your not sure how to get to #5, just head east over the Jimmy Davis bridge. Turn right on Barksdale blvd. and go 20 miles. You can snag a ton of gar this time of year.

14. patric3069

patric3069 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    No bait.....just cast and reel until something gets hooked?

15. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cast and pull back hard to snag them lol

16. Cajun

Cajun New Member

State:
    Kolin, Louisiana
    Exactly how do you clean a gar I have heard something about hulling out the gar but i would like to see it while going on ....

17. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Is that Lock and dam the northernmost one on the red River in Louisisana?

18. pwp60

pwp60 New Member

State:
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    Patrick, Joe Bullock and I go through Lock #5 and set up to catfish off the first point on the left that enters a small side area - creates a big eddie off that point. Anyway, everytime we've been there in the middle of the afternoon, Gar are rolling on top all around us. We'll still catch a few catfish but those Gar are huge - some of the tails on 'em must be about 12" across. I haven't ever tried to snag 'em but if you're anchored there and have quick reflexes you might could do it. Good luck. As an old retired military man myself, I appreciate your service in Germany and hope you have safe travels for your home time coming up soon.

19. pwp60

pwp60 New Member

State:
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    yes, it is. It's about 22 miles as a crow flies south of S'port, but it takes me an hours run from the town ramps to reach it at 40 mph because that ole river goes East and West as much as it does North and South, lol.