Gar moving yet?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by C_wernett, Apr 4, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't seen the first gar yet. Strange as I've caught flatheads already...Being in NC, they might be hitting better down south, and less so up north yet, but is anyone out there hitting any yet? Once they pick up some, I'll be targetting them.

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Here is north Alabama - A couple of weeks ago I tried crappies fishing near a steam plant discharge. Could catch anything but gar unless I kept the bait close to the boat.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Conrad, here is SW Ohio, I havent seen them yet nor heard of anyone seeing them yet but we are in a colder pattern right now, last week was nice and 60 all week then this week has been between 30's and low 50's so we need some more warm water and weather before they will start but it should be very soon, now we need the rains to stop.......:sad:
    I cant wait!!;)

Salmonid

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, it's official, the longnose gar are finally up and moving in the New River in NC. I've been seeing signs of them for the past four days, and had one smash a beatle spin I was throwing for panfish and crappie! He was roughly 36" long, and was about to be real fun on the ultralight rig I was fishing, but the hook slipped while I was adjusting my drag and the line went slack. But I'll be down this week drifting shiners so that I can get some good pictures up here for you guys!