gar movie

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by BigOBear, Sep 21, 2008.

1. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    nice gar, what did you catch em on?

2. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Nightcrawler on a teeny tiny hook while we were catching bait :big_smile:

Caught a bigger one last night on a 10/0 donegotcha circle with a perch baited but accidentally deleted the pics from last night :embarassed:

3. Rangerdave1

Rangerdave1 New Member

State:
    texas
    HOW do you catch gar?? I see them all the time at a river i fish here in SAN ANTONIO,TX. but i can't remember how to catch them since i was a kid and at age 50 i've forgotten many things and i need some bait tips on catfishing as well and "knowing when to set the hook" as i'm mainly a pro bass fisherman and i just picked up catfishing again after more than 25 years of mostly largemouth bass fishing. I'M missing many cats as i've forgotten when to set the hook and i need to test premolded baits if anyone will send them to me please?? YOU can reach me here or at rangerdc55@yahoo.com!!! I was known as ranger dave on this site since 2006 but my info. wasn't transferred to the new site and i lost my original name and acct. on this site.I can use top tips on baits and when the best times to fish are for cats and etc. YOUR expert advice is well appreciated from all ya'll cat pros out there. IT'S been cool here lately in the 50's at night and i haven't caught a single cat 4 nights in arow and when are the best times and temperatures to catch cats.

THANYOU,
    TRUEBACHELOR4FISHING
    AKA RANGER DAVE (THE ORIGINAL RANGER DAVE)

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Gar are pretty easy to catch, you can use almost any type of meat as bait, but fish works best. Then you just need a metal leader, and a SHARP hook but, you can just let them swallow it. I like to wait a while before setting the hook.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great video,Jimmy. Reps for just being a good old DAD to your kids.:wink::cool2:

6. Rangerdave1

Rangerdave1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THANKS so much for the tip NEW MEXICO CATFISHERMAN. I may get up your way sometime to see my friend whose running for SHERIFF IN LINCOLN COUNTY,NEW MEXICO, BIG STEVE SEDERWALL an ex FBI AGENT and former TEXAS RANGER also.I need to get up there to see him and do some trout and other fishing and maybe i'll get a chance to meet you and go fishing with ya.THANKS again for the tips and by the way how do you know just when to set the hook with catfish as i've forgotten alot and i'm mostly a black bass fisherman until just recently when i found a hotspot for cats and gars. #2. QUESTION, CAN you eat gars i know most TEXANS would NOT eat them same with carp??

7. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    1. Well, you can use circle hooks, in which case you don't set the hook, just let the cat load the rod up and reel in. Or just count to 5 when using non-circle hooks.

2. Well, gar ARE edible but I wouldn't try to eat them.