gar gettin rig

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by BIGCATFISHDAN, Oct 19, 2008.

1. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    first i pulll the hook up the line about 4ft then i tie a figure 8 knot and a weight at the end now i wasnt doing this for gar but it turns out those gar get the hook in there mouth then in the struggle end up in the loop the hook is on. i call it the gar getter

2. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have a gar gettin rig also. It's a compound bow,reel,arrow and Muzzy tip. Gets em every time. So long as I don't miss.

3. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Put a piece of pantyhose on your hook it will get tangled around the gars teeth and mouth when they hit your bait.

4. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    use a large bobber about the size of a baseball. fish it with a slip rig where the bait can go down 3 to 5 feet in moderatly shallow water. use bluegills or bar fish. the bar fish seemed to work the best. at first you wont realize that there is a fish on. after catching several, you will notice when there is a fish on since they do not run or pull the bobber under. i caught hunderds of them when i was down there, and as far as im concerned you all can keep them down there....xcept for the gator gars. i woulnt mind them being in a res or two up here