Gar for bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Big Cat Hunter, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Has anyone ever used gar for cut bait? I have heard from some of the old timers that this works really well. They say the meat puts off a lot of odor witch really draws the fish in.

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I've never used it but I have been told that it is good cat bait also. I have used cut drum before as bait and have caught some nice cats with it.

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i say why not try it, people catch 50+ gar all the time and hang em, i say try it and tell us how it goes, and if i catch one ill try and tell how it goes

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I once snagged a gar in the eye while reeling in my bait. I left the eye on the hook and caught a nice cat. I rebaited with the other eye and caught a....gar. I don't see why they wouldn't work. If they are native to the water you are fishing, they could definitely be a food source.

5. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gar have alot of oil in them. Everything that I have been told just cut it into chunks and put it on your hook scales and all. I would have a hard time using the bigger ones for bait cause they do taste good.

6. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    what about using them alive, Not the bigger gar but the you know 6 inch long gar

7. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not a bad idea chris45601 . If you can catch them that small it would probably be the bait for the big ones.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I met a guy on the Missouri River who showed me a bunch of 6-12 inch gar that he uses live. Says he's caught some big fish up to around 70 lbs on them.