gar for bait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Dec 12, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    anybodey use gar for blues lol:smile2:

2. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    good question. does anybody use gar for any kind of bait? cause i can catch plenty of them.

3. Circlehook Jester

Circlehook Jester New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I believe they do Jake. I personally have never used gar for blue cats, but I have caught plenty of channel cats on cut gar. I think I have heard of guys using gar on the rivers.

4. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i have never heard of gar being used for blues,but i've heard baby gar are great yella cat bait.

5. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    are gar oily enought.. im pretty sure they are bloody enought

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was going to try once but I couldn't find anything on the boat that would get through the scales. Those things are like swimming hot dogs with dragon scales and alligator teeth.

7. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    when I eat the backstrap i use tinsnips to cut through the scales. not much meat but it is delicious.

8. CatRwalln

CatRwalln New Member

State:
    United States
    Royce, you have to show me this.

9. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    We use gar for bait sometimes.We caught some 20 to 40 LB blues on it a couple weeks ago. The hardest thing is cuttingit up. I have seen times those blues would hit it better than shad.

10. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Gar make good blue bait but you better have some tin snips or some thing with you to get to the meat. I carry a pair of utility shears and slit them from the anus up.​

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well next time i get one ill steak it up and throw it out:wink:

12. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Make sure you bring a hack saw with ya. LOL

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well next time i get one ill steak it up and throw it out:wink:

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mixed results for blues not a bad late summer bait. I have used small gar 6 to 8 inches not much bigger around than my pinky for flatheads and blues as live baits. Done ok with em no monsters but fish up to 20lbs on the lil live ones and cut bait out of bigger ones. If ya gona use em just carry a set of shears to cut em open.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just use what i can get skipjacks are a pain to get i never got one in my net:angry::smile2:

16. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    I cut up plenty of spotted gar and needle nose for the skillet. I would not use a gar for bait if he was large enough to eat. I don't find the meat oily at all. I find the skin to be unbelievably slimy though. The skin stinks to high heavens too.

Like most of the fish I have cleaned, the gar are not exceptionally bloody. The needle nose and spotted gar meat is very transluscent. The most blood I ever got from them, while filleting, was if their hearts still beat a little after I drove my Truckman Battleaxe through their heads!

If any folks put gar on their hooks, they just might find me nibbling the line ;)