Gar fishing

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by reeftank, Jul 28, 2007.

1. reeftank

reeftank New Member

State:
    iowa bettendorf
    im new in florida and i see lots of gar what the best way to get them thay are all over the place down here

2. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    just go catfishing. :roll_eyes:

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    Bow and arrow. never tried it myself but my birthdays comin up and im plannin on gettin the AMS retriever, start goin after carp and buffalo, then someday hope to make it down south for some gator gar. hopin its gunna open up a whole new sport for me tho and it looks like tons of fun.

4. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great sport to chase with a Bow.. But almost as much fun with a top water bait..
    When they a basking as they do alot this time of year.. One of the best I have used is and old JitterBug from days gone by.
    Most any floating Bass bait not to large but with enough profile both you and the gar can see it will work.
    Start with passes by him from front to rear if ya can, and work angles where it passes close and travels away..
    I don't think they really ever intend to Eat it.. Ya just PO.. them enough they swat it.
    You can tell when it coming by the fact they will turn Quartering to the path and Flare a time or two.. Pretty exciting.

Good luck and get after them..

R Green
    Duckpoor

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Any live bait fished under a bobber will work. If you can use a treble hook in the nose of the bait and then make a little wire leader and put a smaller treble hook in the tail of the bait. Usually the stinger hook will get them. Hope this works for ya. Just throw it past the basking fish and then retrieve it until it's close to the gar and he'll take it every time. Hooking them is the hard part as they have a very bony mount. Let them take it a little bit before setting the hook and you'll catch a few.