gar fishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by copster, Jan 17, 2009.

1. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey i was wondering if any one on here ever just went out to catch some gars. i have seen them in the river hitting the top of the water. I know they are not good to eat but they are fun to catch for my kids. have yall ever seen and really big ones? What would I use to catch them. Thanks, I know this is catfish forums but yall know the river on the pee dee so well i thought i might ask. Thank yall

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I don't remember going out to fish for them but if the fish I am targeting are not biteing or I get bored I will start fishing for them in a secord they are fun to catch I have heard they are good to eat and I am going to try them the next small one I catch The last one I caught was 17 lbs last Oct I caught him with a Bluegill I use minnows worms liver Jigs or just tie a short pcs. of nylon line on yourFishing line [ With out the hook] just un ravel the rope makeing a lure :0a26: they get there teeth hung in the nylon just fish it like a jerk bait glad to help

3. catfever

catfever Member

State:
    conway,s.c.
    I have also heard the nylon rope worked.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I used to catch'em in the spillway of Sardis Dam (MS) using top-water plugs. Lots of fun.

5. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Ive caught a bunch of them around stumphole and lowfalls while cut bait fishing on the bottom for catfish,and only have ever caught one at lake wateree.I have saw the nylon lures for them,kinda like a hookless bucktail,but the nylon instead bucktail. Hammonds fishing and boating at lake lanier GA sells em and has some nice pictures and one mount with the lure hung in the fishs mouth.I worked with a guy who fished for them in the catawba river,he used small brim under a cork with a treble hook.Also,I have ate some,(or should say tasted some,and a small taste at that) that guy cooked one up,said he was hard to clean.it was a very firm meat.It didnt taste good enough for me to want to take up gar fishing for food though!!

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    William they can be caught very eaily using a slip cork with a treble hook and a peice of cutbait. Fish for they up around the willows and around feeder creeks. Come on out to our(Pee Dee Catmasters) 1st metting for 2009 at the Shoneys at Hwy52 & I-95 on January 26th at 6:30pm. I hope to see ya there.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have gotten bored enough to fish for gar a few times.

Gar take baits on the bottom now and then, but will much more quickly hit a a strip of cut bait or a dead minnow in the water column. Either drift the bait freeline (just a hook, no weight) or under a float. Also, they tend to mouth a bait for a bit before taking it, so don't be in a rush to hook them.

They will also take swats at surface lures and even spinner baits. Soft jerkbaits ought to be about perfect.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    only gar ive ever fished for on purpose was aligator gar in texas.my biggest so far is 91 lbs.but i hope to beat that this summer with the help of a few of the brothers that have invited me to come go fishing with them.gator gar are one of the greatest game fish around and should be treated with respect always.

9. bcgamecock

bcgamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree poisonpits! I catch them quite frequently on the Wateree River and when taking new people out there I will tie on a piece of frayed anchor rope to show them how to catch gar with no hook. They always find that fascinating and most people are in awe of the prehistoric-looking nature of those fish. I always release them gently but I unfortunatly know a couple of people who insist on breaking the gar's beaks before throwing them back into the water. I hate to see people inflict unnecessary suffering to any animal for no good reason but there sure are people out there who do it.

10. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    they are pretty tricky to celan, but if you cut the backstaps into small nuggets, cover them w/ some mustard and fry them they are pretty tasty. the best thing to clean them with are tin snips.