Gar Fishing Tips

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by MattyGfishing, Feb 18, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I'm new to Gar fishing. What kind of rods, reels, line, leader, lures, bait, hooks and so on do I need to catch spotted and longnose gar?

2. littlebigman

littlebigman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    it might be different there but here in TN at night i will go out with a light and search for them and when i find one i throw my lure in front of it. for the lure i take a treble hook and a 4-7 inch piece of nylon rope and put the treble hook threw it and to where it wont come off the hook. no weight so it will float and when the gar see it they go up and bite it and there teeth will get stuck in the rope and you reel them in. i use a spinning reel and rod combo from berkley, it came with line on it witch is 20 pound test and it works great.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We used to fish for them once in a while when we were kids. We would go in the creeks (one big hole would hold hundreds of them in summer). We would go out in the evening and they will be on top of the water sunning themselves. I would use a floating Rapala jerkbait. Just like was said earlier, I used nylon rope. I would take the treble hooks off and just tie on the nylon thread. They can't resist a jerkbait thrown in front of them.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's simple. I've found the best way to catch gar is to flathead fishing. LOL It always seems to work for me !

5. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I like to float a gill about 12" deep.
    I also like to try for them on fly rod-I"ve hooked alot but never landed one its still fun.:smile2:

6. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    how far north on the ohio do you think there is plenty of gar ?

moose

7. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Read an article in-fisherman about gar lures.Made a whole bunch of them up with different colors of nylon rope and took them to Truman below the dam to try them out. There were gar all over but not one even sniffed it.I like to use a 1 to 2 oz jigging spoon and snag the dadgum things. Not trying to set the hook on that bony mouth it seems to work a lot better.

8. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Here's a brute from Oklahoma / Texas depending on which side of the river your on. 7'-4" Long x 40" girth. well over 200lbs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :crazy:

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I used to catch them like that on the econfina river in Florida right at the tide line.Never knew how much they wieghed but caught a lot of them over 7 ft.

10. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like feeding them fiberglass,as in arrows!!:smile2: Nothing better than some battered and deep fryed gar!!Never tried to accualy fish for them but it sounds fun!