Gar fishing this summer - Come on!

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by catman529, Feb 13, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It is getting closer to spring, when the water temps start to rise. In a couple months the gar will start coming out, and man I cant wait to go gar fishing. I will start catfishing around late March, and I will get out my gar gear when I start seeing them rise to the surface. Cast net, rod, reel, line, and hook, and maybe a leader is all I will need. Go down to the rocky swift areas and catch some shiners & redhorse, then put them in a ziplock bag and trek upstream to the big deep hole where the biggest gar live. That is my life during the summer.

Who else is waiting eagerly for those gar to come out??

2. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well I still catch them in summer, but in early March, I am gonna targeting for blue catfish and flathead. Don't worry about miss fishing for gar, I still gonna catch them in summer or late fall.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm going to target a record this year! I know where they are, I've just never put the time into trying to catch one aside from just having a fun day of catching fish in the 5-10lb. range. This year I'm looking for a monster!!!

4. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I have quite a list of goals for the end of the summer:

Catch at least 1 gator gar (of reasonable size...at least 20lb.)
    Catch a bunch of longnose (catch one at least 10-15pounds)
    Longnose on flyrod
    Choupique at least 5lb.
    Choupique on flyrod, preferably topwater
    A carp (preferably on flyrod) (snagged)
    A buffalo (snagged)
    Lots of spotted gar/shortnose on flyrod
    A flathead

Wish me luck! We got lots of time! As for now, I'm waiting for the sacalait to start hittin the top! Time for some "crappie" as yall call em, on the fly!!!:big_smile:

5. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck!

My goals for this year are to:

Catch a 10 lb longnose
    Find out where to catch gator gar
    New personal record channel cat
    Buffalo (lip hooked or snagged)
    Carp (lip hooked or snagged)
    Blue and/or flathead cat
    New p.b. smallmouth

Let me know when you get your first gator:cool2:

btw I have a 12/0 treble hook, it is about 3 inches long and I plan to use it against those big buffalos...........

6. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Sometimes we get distracted, so goals really do help. I want a gator gar over 60lbs and a longnose of 6lbs+ to eat. A cat over 50 on rod would complete my season.! Good luck Have rod - will travel

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Went garfishing yesterday, lost about a 10 pound gator-gar at the "clear spot"! Spotted gar everywhere cruising the surface! I may go again today!!:cool2:

8. pbrdrnkr

pbrdrnkr New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ARE YOU FISHING FOR GAR JUST TO BE CATCHING THEM? AROUND HERE WE CONSIDER THEM A NUISANCE. I SEE LOTS OF THEM IN THE CREEK WHERE WE FISH FOR SMALL MOUTH.

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Yes that's why this is under the gar fishing "sub-forum" :wink: Haha, you may think we're all crazy but gar really are lots of fun to catch when you're going for them and have the right tackle. They jump like crazy and are relatively easy to target. Give it a try, you might like it... they fight amazingly well on a 6# flyrod too!

Although I can understand your point of view if you are specifically going after smallmouth bass....but for me fishing is fishing so you have to enjoy what you're gonna catch!

Back on topic.... I went again today and saw a huge choupique that went about 10 pounds or so, and as I cast at it the cutbait fell off the treble hook...:crazy: I saw lots of gar but went a little late in the day so they weren't biting as well....my cousin had a big spot on, around 6-8 pounds we guessed (biggest spot I have ever seen), but it came off at the bank (a 4-foot dropoff from the trail).:sad2:

My luck is just not working out this weekend....

10. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Gar fishing is new to me but can't wait to start fishing for them, I just like catching big fish! they say there are a lot in the Kiamichi River.

Down in Baja they consider the Baruccuda a garbage fish, they sure are a lot of fun to catch.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Will be looking for a 50+ gator gar, 20+ longnose. If you want big gator gar, the Trinity River and Rio Grand in Texas are the places to go.

12. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i plan on doing some bo fishing for some long nose they get big in sc and i read a post that you eat them are they good and is it a member of the pike family?

13. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I'm yet to try one (although that is another thing that should be added to my list) and no, they aren't a member of the pike family. They are a completely different, much older fish family. They are sometimes called garpike because they resemble a pike's elongated body...

14. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I think thats because they are supposedly not good to eat, but I'm not sure..maybe they just haven't heard of CPR. :wink: I also heard they have extremely high mercury levels.

15. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I will definitely be hitting the gar again this summer when the cats slow down. Not sure about eating one...However, I have heard that they are actually very tasty.

16. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man I am jealous that you are already catching em! Water is still not warm enough here, but it will be soon...PM me when you get that gator gar in your claws. Tight lines

17. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Don't worry I'll be sure to get plenty of pictures!:big_smile:

18. snakeman455

snakeman455 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A friend of mine has a pond on their property and I went catfishing yesterday afternoon/evening and not a single bite. I did however see a 3 to 3 1/2 foot long gar swimming along the surface. The first I have ever seen. Since I can't seem to find the catfish I want to go back and try for the gar. What's the best way to do this? Top water with bobber or bottom? Cut bait or lure? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

19. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Cutbait with smallest cork possible....sight cast at them (wear polarized sunglasses, it helps A LOT!!)

I say smallest cork possible because when they take it under, its hard for them to swallow the bait with the upwards pressure from the cork. Use small treble hooks or a bream hook (i'm gonna try this thursday) and wait a few minutes until the gar has swallowed the hook.

Also, if it was a longnose, which sounds like the case, you can use combed-out nylon rope along with your cutbait which will tangle in the gar's teeth, when using rope, do not set the hook...reel in like a circle hook after a while of waiting...

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    They are not my life in the summer but they are fun to catch