Gar fishing in your area

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by blackriverfisher, May 27, 2008.

1. blackriverfisher

blackriverfisher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just seeing how good the gar activity is getting this year in other areas. it has really picked up this past week in my spots went from seeing 10 a night to 25+ and around a few in the day to 15+. about 70% of gar seem to be about a foot long others anywhere from 2' to 5'+

2. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My only experience with a gar in my area was 2 years ago when my brother and I took a boat down the scioto river. It was early and we had just started out. He tossed a live goldfish near a log jam and BAM! We assumed he had a nice cat. He got it close to the boat and it was a good 4 feet long or better. Longnose. It got a look at us and bolted under the boat snapping his line. It was exciting and I am still waiting to get hooked up with one of my own.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Mostly scattered around here, all the flooding I'm sure, usually gets to be good and fun about mid July until first few cold nights over here on the little river. They are fun thats for sure, and GIANT at that, lot of them over 5' and 12-14" girth....... just some drag rippin fun thats for sure! This one here from last fall was well over 5' and rolled it self up in the line which ended up foul hooked, but still was fun! Sorry for the small pic, not sure what happened.....:eek:oooh:

[​IMG]

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    It's pretty good for 2-4 footers. I use a float 6in above a dead shiner or shad, can catch 30-40 of them in a day.

5. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    man we got some good gar fishing in are oklahoma rivers. I live three miles from a good gar river I've seen some good sized one's this year!

6. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you catch them? I'd like to try and catch one here, might be a little tougher than where you are, cause outside of the pet trade, (I'm into aquariums and breeding pet fish) I've never seen one.

Thanks,
    Powerman2442

7. blackriverfisher

State:
    Missouri
    well it really all depends on what type of gar you plan on fishing for .
    short nose and alligator gar you can catch with a hook and bait or with a spinner of some type.

for a long nose if you use a hook you need the sharpest hook you can get because unlike the short nose and alli the long nose has an all bone snout
    some use nylon line to catch them. the nylon strands get caught in there sharp tiny little teeth. and you just reel them in.

be shure to use a steel leader .

8. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    Hey man if u live in MO and fish the black river u gota live fairly close to me. I fish the black down around coon island sum, never caught many nice cats but a ton of gar

9. blackriverfisher

State:
    Missouri
    yep yep real close just a few miles up river in the broseley/hargrove area

10. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    I actually live at Bernie and fish the St Francis mostly but do go down 2 the island to fish some and duck hunt in the winter

11. blackriverfisher

State:
    Missouri
    oh i see i live in broseley and fish both rivers. i have the st francis river around 4 miles from me to the east and the black river 3 miles to the west. both have huge gar in them, the state record was taken right around where i bowfish at.

but to go cat fishin i go to lake wappapello mostly jug fish or run trot lines while bowfishing

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Haven't had the opportunity to fish for gar here in Tennessee...Haven't even really seen any..But the way I catch gar on rod and real I rig my line with a lasso knot with the hook dangling in the middle of the loop..When the gar takes the bait and you set the hook the line tightens around there snout...A sure fire way to catch gar..

13. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    My son is 6 and is catching gar with a jig head and a pearl white mister twister plastic minnow. I plan on doing some gar fishing to try some gar meat this weekend. Tell yall how it goes!!

Jess

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nylon rope jig works great!

15. GFP

GFP New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I cought a 8 lb 3 oz short nose Gar
    On Rod & Reel
    here in St. Joseph Mo
    it set a
    New Missouri State Rrecord
    &
    New World Record

you can go to

STJOECHANNEL.COM
    &
    CLICK On

SPORTs

LOOK FOR Oct 12 th

then record srtting Gar

You WIll Be able to see it

thanks
    George

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    223reload likes this.
  16. lucescoflathead

lucescoflathead New Member

State:
    Western Pa.
  17. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    If you have Live goldfish i think gar are some of the easiest critters to catch, from my personal experience's as soon as ive ever gotten a "bite" more like the gar bitting at the goldfish but when i start reeling in u know u have a gar because they will swim right to the boat. Never had a gar put up a fight ive caught about 30 of them. More annoying than anything I personally have not seen to many gar this year like last.. Seen a bigger increase in Silver, bighead, and buffalo carp

18. hilljob

hilljob New Member

State:
    salina,ks
    i would love to catch one if i knew what to look for..lol...people say they are in the smokey hill river, but i have yet to see one or find anyone that has caught one...maybe someday,,,do they bite when its cold,,or does it need to be warmer to get some gar action

19. GFP

GFP New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    I Cought about 300
    Short nose gar last year

I have never cought
    any
    in cold weather

They are not that hard to clean

They are real good eating

My kids love them

Thay are the only fish
    I
    Do Not Release

You Cook Them
    Just Like You Would Catfish
    But When
    They Are Cooked
    The Meat Looks
    More Lile Chicken

&

Not as strong a fish tast
    as
    Catfish

realy good to eat

I ate my first one
    after
    I cought my Record fish

You all need to try them
    You will start fishing for them
    Just to eat

good luck

George

223reload likes this.
  20. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    Head north to Waconda lake. Tons of longnose gar there and great fun on light tackle. I have found that once they feel resistance it's game on and they go airborn a lot!