gar fishin in missouri

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by bassprofisher, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bassprofisher

bassprofisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    i just moved to missouri and is havin a hard time catchin gar what do they generaly bite on to?

2. swampeast

swampeast New Member

State:
    swampeast, MO
    where at in MO?

3. bassprofisher

bassprofisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    towards bagnell damn and some places in haha tonka ive seen them but they wont bite

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    We use 2 oz jigging spoons with a bigger treble on the back.Throw it in where you see the gar and reel it back to the boat or bank.When you contact something set the hook.A 7' baitcasting rod with about 20-30lb test will work great for this.That is for about 10' of water if you are in deeper water you can use a heavier spoon shallower you can use a lighter spoon. If you are on the bank you will lose a bunch of spoons. It's great fun and you can do it anywhere the gar are surfacing but it works best during the spawn or in the winter when it's cold and the gar stack up.We usually shake 'em off when they get back to the boat unless it's a giant and we want a pic.Make sure you be careful bringing them in the boat and unhooking them.We use leather work gloves from the hardware store and 8" needlenose.will try to attach a pic but I'm at work don't know if it will work.

5. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have caught gar using everything like a catfish rig, a spinnerbait, a spoon, and yes believe it or not a piece of Nylon rope. just throw it out in front of them and watch them eat.

6. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Here is the promised pic. Read an article in Infisherman on nylon gar lures made of poly rope wire looms and split rings.I threw a whole bunch of them at Truman one day where I could see gar all over the place they didnt pay any attention to them at all.Here's a 5 footer from Truman we caught 30 that day in 4 hours

Attached Files:

7. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Can you eat Gar

8. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Kevin they eat em in Louisiana but I wouldn't mess with one.Bony slimy toothy nasty things.But they sure are fun to catch {the bigger ones, when I'm not using 6$ apeice skipjack or 3$ goldfish}.

9. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    Here's how I make my rope lures for gar down here in Ga.

(1. Take a 12 inch section of nylon rope and a small zip tie.
    (2. Fold the rope in half and place the zip tie about a half inch from the top.
    (3.Then unbraid the rope and expose the inner core ,cut the core off as close as you can to the zip tie.
    (4. Now brush the nylon with your wifes fav brush to get all of the tangles out.
    (5. Now i attach a 60lb fluorocarbon leader to the top of the rope with a double palomar knot,and add a bullet weight and a swivel.

Whe you see the gar surfacing toss it across the school and retrieve it slowly just under the surface.When he hits hang on and have a glove handy to land him.

And to eat them just harvest the backstraps off of them and chunk them up and cook like you would some fresh scallops.We call it redneck lobster down here mmmmm good!!

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      35.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      41.5 KB
      Views:
  10. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    Last Two

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      35.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      53.5 KB
      Views:
  11. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Those look exactly like the ones I made...I even used 3 different colors of rope and they didn't pay any attention to them at all.:confused2:

12. bassprofisher

bassprofisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the info it really helps i will try them out and ill let you know if they work thanks:smile2:

13. cicnolo

cicnolo New Member

State:
    ne. CENTRA
    if anyone is interested gar are excellent eating. the trick is in the cleaning .my method is to wack the head off with a hatchet,then(the most important part)use tin snips to cut from belly to arsehole. clean out the guts,then you more or less skin it like you would a cow or deer. all the bones are athached to the skin.once you get the meat out of the skin you will find a y shaped piece of grisel through the length of the meat. 6 slices down the sides of the grisel and you have 3 pices of white meat. you can boil,broil,fry or the wife makes turtle soup substituting gar for turtle. and it does taste like lobster!! tony