Gar fish - can they sting you?

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by 30pounder, Oct 5, 2005.

1. 30pounder

30pounder New Member

can gar sting u and if they can how do they do it and were r the stingers??

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    not that I am aware of, however they have one heck of a bite.

3. 30pounder

30pounder New Member

thats wat people are talkin about getting hurt. Thanks

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. i too have never heard of that. they are equiped with a mouth full of teeth as was said.

5. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    yes, gar have the normal complement of fins: dorsal, pectoral, anal, and tail. none have spines, but their mouth is filled with teeth. they're basically a freshwater barricuda.

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

This is why you want to watch your fingers around gar:

Attached Files:

7. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I love catching gar but they sure are a pain to unhook.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I really dont like gar, but this one put up quite a fight on 6-lb test..I caught it while fishing for white bass.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was there when Flathunter caught this Gar. Boy what a battle it created!

10. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    Garfishing is alot of fun but it aint nothin compared to slingin arrows at them all night long!

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Several years ago I snagged a 25 pound gar. Had one of the biggest fight ever.

12. flathead willy

flathead willy New Member

State:
    Madison, MS
    Dundee and I were frog gigging one night out of a canoe and the water was so shallow that we could just see the gar floating and swimming around. We gigged several and even gigged a nutria :) giggin gar is fun.

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I hung one on a Rattle-Trap once (belive it or not). That was one fun fight. It jumped out of the water like a Marlin and tail walked. Then when it was over, I had a heck of a time gettin' my lure back. Lots and Lots of theeth.
    I've heard of some ol'timers using rope tied to the end of the fishing line and using it like a top water lure to catch the guys.

14. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I've got a couple on rattle-traps, they like those lures. And in
    Santee Cooper Lake of (South Carolina) they call gar......
    "The Santee Sailfish"....LOL :happy:

15. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    i've heard them called a santee sail fish before. ialso heard people call them a cooper river marlin. The biggest i've ever caught was just under 28lbs it was at santee i caught one at murry that weighed 20lbs once. thats what i fish for at murry some times

16. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    An older fellow that I know commercial fished and farmed all his life. He told me that if I caught a good sized gar that I should eat it. Well, in this area you can catch a lot of 1 or 2 lb long nose gar, but I finally caught a nice spotted gar about 5 lbs or so. Beautiful fish, so I had a friend photo me holding the gar. Just after he snapped the pic, the gar wiggled out of my grip and landed on the downslope of some large riprap on which I was fishing. It was amazing to see how fast that gar traveled down the rocks and back into the Mississippi. There went my dinner! One of my fishing goals is to catch (and release) an alligator gar, and I still want to get a 5lber for the table!!!!! Hannibal Mike Thanks everyone for the info on a little appreciated fish.

17. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Another successful catfisherman from St Louis said that he did well on cats in January while gar were spawning. He said the the gar are on the surface and just broadcast their eggs into the stil backwater areas. This attracted the cats and he would fish the area with gar eggs from caught gar. What do you think? Hannibal Mike

18. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    When gar spawn in my neck of the woods are really when the cats start biting i would definatley recommend catfishing during the gar spawning period. This year I caught all of the over 35 flatties in spawning season. Gar are also pretty fun to catch in the summertime, but unhooking them is an adventure in itself, they usually do "the death roll" and your line will get tangled around their beak, if you grab the gar and have a firm grip on the beak you should be ready to untangle them but make sure you have a firm grip if you like the way your hands look as they are now. Make sure you clean up all the line off of their beaks because they rely on those razor sharp teeth to snap on any little baiters that are moving along, its hard for them to move their jaw when even the littlest piece of line is wrapped around the beak and in turn they will starve to death. Happy cat and garfishing. And Happy Holidays.

19. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Gar usually will hit anything from rat-l-traps and crank baits to spoons. I would highly recommend a Mepps aglia #2 or #3 on a river but if youre gar fishing lakes, stick to the deep crank baits, flashy colors.

20. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That would be a nice sized gar in my area Jack. I have only ever caught small ones.

I have even grabbed ahold of a couple while wading in the local river, but have not seen any that big up close