Gar Everywhere

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catman4926, Jul 9, 2008.

1. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does anybody know whats up with all the Gar? Went fishing last night and the D$$ gar were everywhere could not even get the bait down to the bottom before it was hit. This is the frist year that seem's so many of them.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just kinda depends on where your fishin'. Gar seem to like slack water, so if there is any current near by, fish that. If I find myself fishing in a 'gar hole', I'll just move because the gar will out compete the cats.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    there in the mood for love. it's that time of the year and lots of em are getting lucky.

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    can gar be used for cut bait?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I hat GAR!. I don't know if they are good bait or not. If you are in a gar hole its time to move, you will catch no cats when gars are present

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i dont know about gar for bait but there is an interesting thread in the fishin america section on how to clean them. the process looks simple and the flesh looks very clean. it wouldn't surprise me to find out they were very tasty. they are not bottom feeders. some of you guys eat one and tell me how they taste will ya.:big_smile:

7. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    i always seem to catch alot of channel cats when the gar are hitting hard at a spot. dont know if its because of the baitfish or if the cats are feeding off the "cutbait" that falls from the gar feeding?

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thank God that we don't have any here in this area,That being said,if we did,I'd be chasin em ,they gotta be better eatin than carp. Which really ain't all that bad once ya get past the bones.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Out here in eastern PA, fisherman out there would love to catch gar.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm just now learning to fish dip and punch baits.

I don't catch any large cats on it, but it appears to me the gar and turtles leave this stuff alone.

11. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    dude get a 2oz jigging spoon take the back hook off and put about a 6/0 treble on there. put it on a m/h action baitcaster with at least 20 lb test and throw it out and drag it through where the gar are. It's a hell of a lot of fun. I wouldn't keep a gar if it was the last thing on earth but they sure are fun to catch.When the crappie are spawning the gar like to eat their eggs {so do channels} so the gar can be a locater for you since they breathe air. I always have a snaggin rod rigged at the bottom of my rod locker in my bass boat.Works for carp and shad too. We go below the dam in the slack water in the winter time and the gar stack up like crazy.I have caught gar up to 5 1/2 feet long.

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i agree. gar are all kinds of fun to reel in. they fight like nothin else.