Gar eating up all the bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rwg, Jun 9, 2008.

1. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I HAVE SPENT THE LAST WEEK FISHING FOR FLATHEADS, GOT SEVERAL NICE ONES, I HAVE BEEN USING GOLDFISH OR PERCH FOR BAIT, DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA TO KEEP THE G:angry:AR FROM EATINGUP ALLMY BAIT B-4 MR FLATHEAD
    COMES A LONG, MAYBE BIGGER BAITS ? THANKS RWG

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    exactly what we do put bigger baits on try bullhead they think about it a little longer before hittling them

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Gars are aggravating bastar**. I hate the way they run with the bait and foul all the other lines up. I do know that fishing mouths of creeks and oxbox lakes have MORE gar activity than other areas of the river. They don't seem to be night feeders too much, at least not in my experience. I know no solution except the above mentioned about very large bait. 'Course, there are VERY large gars too that might welcome very large bait! :)
    BB in SC

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I HAVE BEEN USING GOLDFISH AND PERCH THIS LAST WEEK, ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO KEEP THE GAR FROM EATING MY BAIT BEFORE MR FLATHEAD COME ALONG? RWG

5. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    if you can't beat 'em join 'em. find the gar throw a 2 oz. jigging spoon with a big treble on a baitcaster with at least 30lb test. Snag the gar and throw em up on the bank. Or shoot 'em with the bow.Just wear gloves and be careful landing them.They fight like crazy if you hook one in the mouth or tail.lots of fun.We don't even bring 'em in my bass boat just shake 'em off at the boat.Get a really big one 4-5' they make a nice picture.

6. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    I have the same problem with Gar here in Southern, WV. I hate how they do that, if we do catch one we make sure it don't make it back to the river unless it is used as cut bait.

7. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    big bait, fish deep. i have found the deeper you fish the less apt to get bothered.

8. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Try to bait up right at dark does'nt hurt either:canny:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We've been having the same problem with the Gar here in Western Kentucky too. We have tried bigger baits...we have tried fishing deeper.....it doesnt seem to help. The only thing that seems to help is using Bullheads as bait, but now we are having difficulty catching them too.:crazy:

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if you can get one in and pry his snout open and place a long stick in his mouth where he cant close it and let him go he will swim around with his mouth wide open and drown and it will scare off any others in the area.

11. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I take it not many have tried eating gar on this thread!!!:embarassed: I believe if you're not going to eat it, don't kill it, even if they are "messing" up your fishing!! We're supposed to be conservationist, you would be sick if a gar fisherman or bass fisherman caught a world record blue, or just a bigger one than you have ever caught, and threw it on the bank to die, or turned him loose to die some terrible death by torturing him. Or what about that flathead you're trying to catch thrown on the bank???? just some food for thought!!!! Turn it into a positive and try & catch the "nuisance", get him out & fillet him for the freezer, then catch mr. flathead..............:wink:

12. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just catch them and eat them.They are pure white meat and taste WAY better than channel cat.They have the texture of shrimp but taste like crappie.Kind of a pain to clean but worth it.