Gar & Catfish

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by bedweary, Sep 24, 2008.

1. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    Does the presence of gar have any affect on catfish and/or perch? I was told years ago that if you see gar in the area, there's not likely to be catfish around. I'm asking because I'm having a tough time catching any fish in my local stretch (Tulsa, between 21st & 71st streets) of the murky Arkansas river right now, but the gar are plentiful (Bowfishers COME ON DOWN and thin them out!).

Hope you're all having better luck than me! BR

2. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    that's not necessarily true, i almost look for gar topping the water in isay in quoute some areas when im catfishing, mostly from the bank though, its usually right when they first start showing up, in that area and then their not around for to long the blues that is

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hard to say, I would love to know also. I did fish yesterday and caught 6 fish, one gar was also caught. I've also caught gar and nothing else was around, kinda like turtles.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Its been my experience that the catfish get outta dodge when the gar show up. Gar will chase after just about anything.

5. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    Gar and turtles! There are plenty of those in this stretch of river. The turtles will surface and look for where your line goes into the water, and you can bet they'll be chewing on your bait within minutes. It's frustrating to think you've got catfish nibbling only to discover it's turtles. That's why I've always preferred using live perch for bait cause they're quick enough to avoid turtles, but can't find perch, presumably because of all the gar.

As for the gar, it does seem that things go dead after they start to show up. I have caught catfish when they're around but it's been on rare occasions. I bankfish exclusively and it's tough to move from spot to spot just to avoid what I'm not fishing for. Maybe I should invest in my own bowfishing rig and find a recipe for gar (lol).

Since I can't catch anything right now, I'll look around the web and try to get to "know my enemy". If I find anything of interest, I'll post it back in this thread.

I appreciate everyone's input. BR

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know what you mean about the gar. I went fishing on the lower St. Francis River here in Arkansas because it's supposed to be very good for catfish, especially flatheads. There was one small flathead caught over the weekend, but quite a few gar; they were everywhere! I never saw so many gar in one spot in my life. I couldn't keep a bait on my hook, whether it was cut bait or live rice slicks. So, I'd have to go along with the idea that when a spot gets infested with gar, the catfish leave. On the other hand, I don't think an occasional gar makes any difference, because I've caught catfish and gar in the same area within a short time of each other.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would have to say there is no affect . Reason being I have caught alot of catfish from the same area that gar was swimming .
    But there was also alot of bait fish like shad in the same are im sure the gar was eating .
    As far as small perch and fiddler cats im not sure if they would be safe in the area . but i do see them right there with the gar along with small drums carp etc.
    To bad the gar couldnt be programmed to only eat asian carp.:smile2:

8. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well, i didn't want to reincenerate from my earlier thread about the gar being in the same place, i don't know where most of you fish, but it's a good sign where i fish that they'll be right close, and also, i have fished under neith the gar when they are dropping eggs, and flat out killed them, look for when thyeir spawning and the blue cats willl be right under neither them eating on the dropped eggs, same principal always follows

9. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    And turtles!

Didn't find alot of info about gar, other than "they eat fish" (duh!) and that their eggs are poisonus to humans but safe for other fish to eat (interesting). Wonder if it's safe to eat fish that have been eating poisonous gar eggs?:smile2:

South Grand Laker, how to tell when they are spawning? Makes sense that blues would be feeding on their eggs. I might have missed the gar spawning and my golden opportunity to catch bluecats!

Well i'm off to try them again today, the river current has slowed considerably and maybe I can hold a reasonable size sinker out there where the good-tasting fish are swimming.

Really do appreciate everyone's input. BR

10. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Bedweary; From my experience fishing the Arkansas for years I dont remember Gar making a huge difference in relation to the cats, I know for a fact on lakes you might as well move because theres low oxygen levels where they are, the current should take care of that problem, I agree with Grandlakers assesment. Bait up & give e'm fits!!!

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i fish the arkansas river from webbers falls ok.to little rock arkansas and in the summer gar are thick below all the dams.if im fishing with a bobber or shallow i have to put up with them but they dont seem to bother me if im fishing out in deep water on bottom.ive found that if i fish night crawlers or bull heads i can fish shallow without any problems.

12. Randy Jones

Randy Jones New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hers a question? where do the gar go during the winter months we fish kerr lake plus other waters in ok. when it is cold we do not catch gar. Then when summer hits there back. Do they hibernate or what?

13. bedweary

bedweary New Member

State:
    Tulsa,Oklahoma
    That is a good question. I fished yesterday & caught several small channel cats ( and one 5lb. carp) but didn't see a single gar. the cool nights we've had lately maybe sent them into hiding as I'd guess the surface temps are coming down. Dunno where they go, but so far I don't miss them. br

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    yeah thats a good question , i really never thought of it but have noticed it.

15. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i fish the north canadian, and have caught plenty of blues when the gar were teeming.