Gar bait

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 18, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What is the best bait to catch gar?thank you for your post!:smile2:

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    They like minnows and cut bait. I caught a 10.5 pound gar off cut eel suspended by a slipfloat one day fishing for catfish. The rope lure is also good and is alot easier in hooking the gar because the gar's teeth gets stuck in it.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    whatever you catfish with really, i go tho quite a few gar in a day of catfishing

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Studies show that gizzard shad and channel catfish are two of the favorite gar foods. Illegal to use catfish in Texas, though one place I fish on the Brazos has plenty I catch in my cast net, mostly 1 to 4" in size. Hate getting 10 or 12 of those suckers caught in my net, takes forever to untangle. Drum is another favorite food fish. Actually, any tough skinned fish fillet will work. One of the best baits on the middle Brazos has been freshwater mullet. One night, using those, I hooked 20 gar, landed 10, all over 2 lbs with the largest going 5.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Amen to that, mullet are the greatest baitfish, they stay alive FOREVER!

6. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    fish.

When sight fishing even dead or cut fish will work.

Insects like grasshoppers also are good, and I think worms are too.

shiner, chub, shad, redhorse, logperch, bream, whatever you got. I use whatever gets caught in my throw net.

7. DryHole

DryHole New Member

State:
    Katy Texas
    I have hooked many Spotted and Alagator Gar on Spinnerbaits..
    They also love a fat Night Crawler tossed in front of them and its good to let them swallow the bait in order to get a good hook up.
    I have lost more Gar than I have landed...And I have landed literly hundreds over rteh years..
    Here in Texas back in the days there used to be a bounty on Gar .. I think they need to do a Bounty again due to the mass ammount round here..
    They consume the Game Fish Fry and do have a huge impact on the numbers..

8. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    When is the best time of year to fish for gar or is their any. Lead leader is a must I suppose. Are gar worth eating?

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Most gator gar and longnose gar are caught during the warmer months. Partly, that's when most people fish for them. They can be seen rolling on the surface or swimming just under the surface then. There really aren't any studies that tell what gar do in the winter time, but I suspect that they go deep like other fish when it gets cold. I've recently bought 2 Penn 209 reels, so will work on finding out where they are in cooler weather. Guess I'll just have to put up with big blues and flatheads bothering the big baits.:lol: :lol:

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like any live or dead baitfish as well as rope lures (my favorite is an old Hula Popper with rope attached at the tail). Last summer I had good luck with slugs.

11. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    If there cruzin the top, anything that moves slow in front of them to include an empty hook on a bobber

12. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    ^^^^ PRIME FLY-FISHIN FOR THOSE SUCKERS!!! Just make sure you have your polarized glasses and steel fly leaders!!!:cool2:

13. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Are thier eels in NE Oklahoma? where do you get them and how?

14. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Here in the coastal areas we have mullet that run up the rivers, but we also get a TON of menhaden, and the gar LOVE them. We fish with mostly light or ultralight gear and fish them under float or drifted. My best this year was and 11.5lb longnost caught on 4# line! The only ones I've lost is due to poor hooking. The biggest one I've ever hooked would have clearly broken state and/or world record for longnose and was hooked on a cut sunfish while fishing cats...I wish I could have gotten this thing on shore. Rough estimate marking between were he was stretched between two lines that were about
    7' apart from one another and bigger around then a football. The biggest longnose I've personally EVER seen.

15. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I drift fished longnose the same way, what kind of hook do you use? leader? Thanks.

16. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    ive heard some people say before that they use like the end of a thick rope. they cut off a few inches of it and pick it out so its all frizzy. they attach that to a steel leader and jerk it about while it sits on top of the water. when the gar hit that they their teeth get tangled up in all the fibers. i remember them saying they were real successful using that as a lure.

17. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just use a heavey hook, size 6 or 4 with a long(ish) shank, no leader.

18. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    no leader and 4 pound test?! that sounds a bit fishy to me...

19. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Come on down and I'll show ya...lol They never tear up the line as long as you fight them right. There is no horsing them. You bow a bit when they thrash so the line doesn't get caught accross the snout. A longer light rod also helps this as it transfers the tension from the line into the rod instead of just snapping the line. I also only use certain monofilament lines when fishing like this. I rarely use braid, as when under tension, if something sharp taps it...it's gone. But honest to goodness, I use 4lb, and no leader. Anyone who wants to try it out in the spring is more than welcome to come down and get in on the action.

20. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    ok...well I did land my 6 pounder with only 20# mono....my cousin caught his 10 pounder on 25 pound braided..no leader