gar at Lake Norman

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bill Smith, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Been seeing more gar at LNM this year then any time I can remember. Anyone seeing more gar and know why? Here is a picture of one I caught yesterday (6/19) if I attached it right.

Attached Files:

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bill, we have seen a bunch this year. Seen several just swimming around together. Must have been getting ready to mate.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man, when those things get ready to spawn/are spawning you can't mistake it, they're all bunched up and hitting the top of the water and porpoising. Hard to catch cats in an area where they're ganged up like that.

4. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I don't like 'em and make short work of any that get near my boat. I hate 'em. They serve no purpose for me and most that I throw back sink to the bottom. Did I mention I don't like gar? You get my drift.

5. Bill Smith

Bill Smith New Member

State:
    north carolina
    chris,

I understand from the forum that gar balls are good to eat. Maybe you should cut them off before you throw the fish back and give them a try. You might learn to love gar!!!!!

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    lol!!:smile2: I think they mean taking out the meat & making "gar balls" in a fryer. You really should give them a try before you do away w/them as you say, I think everyone would like them if they give them a try, afterall you dont have to kill them to get rid of them so you can fish for cats in the same place, if you take them out & eat them they wont be there anymore either.:eek:oooh::wink: Plus they are a good fight if you tangle w/ a good sized one, try fishing for them when the cats aren't biting, at least you will catch something!!!!

7. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Somebody tell me how to catch em........I live next to a river thats just plum full of em!!!! NE ideas?

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Most use really big baits & really big trebles. Some use trotline string brushed with a wire brush, tied with a plastic wire tie in the middle. Cast it out & they are supposed to go after the string & get tangled up in their teeth!!

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Bill Smith was not kidding about gar balls, you can get the recipe from Southeastern Outdoors publication.

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Man oh man, what side of the bed did you get up on when you wrote the above. The Gar is one of the few historic fish that we have left in our waters. I bet you would get a wedgie if someone said the same about a flathead or Ark. blue.

Yeah, I got your drift, sort of surprised at your attitude. :angry:

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd have to agree with that. Gar and bowfin are the two oldest fish other than I believe the sturgeon that we have in NC. They are very cool primitive fish, with pseudo lungs!! I can't argue with the fact that they do make me mad at times (especially the bowfin when I'm fishing a bass tournament and they blow up on my lure and make me think I've got a hawg:smile2:) but there isn't any sense in killing them for no reason other than to kill them.

12. bigdmat

bigdmat New Member

State:
    lexington,nc
    not from lake norman but caught at badin lake at garr creek of all places. this is the first one i have ever had in my hands on and having never seen one i thought it was pretty cool. the only thing i didn't like about it was getting that joker out of the cast net. all about the new experiences.like seeing things new:eek:oooh:. I didn't see any balls on this one so i let it go. lol :smile2:[
    never loaded pics before so i hope it works

ATTACH]44417[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

13. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man getting those things out of a cast net is a chore and a half. I the lake I fish there are saltwater needle fish (along with flounder and blue crabs:eek:oooh:) and I net them for bait and if you get about 6 or 8 of them in the net it makes for tough time. It's the only way to catch them so a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do I guess:smile2:

14. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc

that guy is the reason anglers get a bad name right there. I agree with you lknblues he continues to surprise me too. but I'll not be surprised again........ I'm just a believer now.......... he's that bad apple that people say is in every barrel!

15. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    I've caught my share pulling boards and freelines when striper fishing. One night on Clarks Hill we boated a dz. in an hour, some line strippin' fun there. I had the state record broke (never crossed my mind) once or twice down at Hydro a time or two as well. I keep thick leather gloves on board and leave them in the water when unhooking, don't want one of them big jokers floppin' around on board :smile2:. They like to make holes as big a 'round as they are in your cast net too, and the unhitchin' part ain't much fun either. If you didn't need the jaws of life to get at the fillets I think most folks would eat more gar (the other really white meat).

16. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I've been hearing about Gar since I was young...never really seen one though (maybe once on Lake Erie from a distance, not sure) I would *L*O*V*E* to catch one!! From what I understand they mostly feed near the surface? What bait should I use? Live? Cut? Chx Liver? I have no idea...Just a dumb FYI- Gar and Bowfin are related, they are also some of the only fish still unchanged since dino-times. Oh, Native Americans used Gar scales for arrow heads too. I bet a 3-5 footer would look nice wall mounted too. :)

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    They will eat live/cut bait all the time. They are really hard to hook though, you can get them using a double or triple treble rig and also with nylon rope on your lure/bait. However, the treble hook rig could hurt a big cat and the nylon rope will keep you from catching as many cats(I've tried:confused2:) so I'd just suggest that you keep doing what you're doing and eventually you'll catch them. They seem to be much more prevalent down here in the eastern part of the state than they are in the middle and western part of the state.

18. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I guess I'll just keep on fishin' then...could you imagine hooking a 6+ foot gar up? I bet it'd be a GREAT time!

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My fiance caught some last year approaching 5ft and I know those aren't the biggest ones out there.

20. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Found this at www.alligatorgars.info/worldrecord.php

Both the 279 pound (126.55 kilogram) world record Alligator gar and the 302 pound (137 kilogram) Alligator gar measured a little over 7 ½ feet (2.29 meters). This does not make any of them the world record Alligator gar when it comes to size; only weight. The world record Alligator gar when it comes to length was 10 feet (305 centimetres) long.

That actually scares me...what if it grabbed a hold of you?:crazy: