gar as bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by MoMudCat, Dec 5, 2005.

1. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Anyone ever tried using cut gar as bait? Most people say to use whatever baitfish that is in the water you are fishing. I do alot of bowfishing in the summer and thought instead of throwing them back in with a big hole in um, I could put those nasty critters to good use.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    They supposedly have some toxins in them and I dont think the catfish key on them as a source of food.Use the "bait" type fish common to the waters.I suppose you can catch a cat on a fresh hunk of any type of fish but I'm not sure about gar.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know some people who have tried them with no luck..Better have a razor knife and shears when trying to cut them up, they are one tough critter.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    MMC,
    I once met a trotliner on Santee Cooper who netted large numbers of small (6"-12") gar and chop them into little round chunks for his bait.
    Now I'm not trying to pick a fight or start anything here, this is only a question not a criticism but if you don't already have a use for them and you just "throw them back with a big hole in um" why do you bow fish for them in the first place?...W

5. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Well Metalman, that's a good question! To tell you the truth I never really thought about it. All the guys that taught me how to bowfish shot gar and just threw them back in. Guess I just got use to doing this. But I do remember my dad teaching me not to shoot anything I don't eat.
    Anyone else in here bowfish??? Do you shoot gar, and if you do, what do you do with them???

6. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    i know if you got caught doing that around here there would be a big fine

7. Txboy

Txboy New Member

State:
    Hewitt , TX
    If you dont use em for bait fry them bad boys up they have some nice white meat in em if you can get past the outer shell

8. jdRivercat

jdRivercat New Member

I've bowfished for them for alot of years and was always told by my dad YOU KILL IT YOU EAT IT. we take and fry them but we always bleed them out as soon as we shot it. taste very good.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    MMC,
    Although I don't agree with using them for "target Practice" I do really appreciate your honesty. From what the other guys say it sounds like you have a ready supply of fish for the the frying pan, enjoy!...W

10. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    JDRivercat,
    How do you clean them? Any tricks to it. Thanks for calling me on the "target practice". It would be great to be able to do something with the gar we shoot, some are very big!!

11. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Anyone use gar eggs for bait? I was told that they spawn in January-ish. Hannibal Mike

12. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey guys thier was an article written on how to clean a gar. They are said to be very good for channel and blue cats. Click here for the article

I have heard lot's of stories about people using them for channels.

The one type of Gar does have toxins in them and are bad for us Humans to eat can't think of it off hand write now.

13. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks josh didnt know that article was there, tried cutting one of those buggers one night I think they are kevlar reinforced around here I had 3 different knives and one was a serrated didnt even scratch the thing he went back in and swam away. LOL

14. schmoofis

schmoofis New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I actually fish for Gar on occasion. They have a very interesting taste. I use a tin snips to cut the belly. After I gut it, I stuff it full of fresh garlic, onions, peper, etc and throw it on the grill. Those tough scales make for a great roasting container. Cook for about 6 minutes a side, and you have some tasty food. The roasted skin pops off in one piece and you are left with something closer to pork-loin than fish. It is really good. The next time you are out bow-fishing, just try to eat some!

15. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Cut circle around gar just behind head with tin snips. Cut line to tail down back and stomach. Skin easily pulls off with pliers. Fillet both sides, no small bones. Eggs are poisonous, sometimes fatal. I soak the meat in salt water overnight. Cook or freeze. Don't know why they got the bad rep. They taste good. You have to check for mercury warnings for the water you take them out of as they are a predator.

16. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Gar have bad reps because usually when there are gar around the cats aren't. Gar usually eat all the bait fish the cats like to eat.

I personally never tried the gar couldn't tell you.

17. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

gar make decent bait out on the river where you find them as far as them being posion for people to eat . that couldnt be further from the truth at least the ones around here you can eat and plenty of folks do. not to bad bolied

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    When they still have their eggs during their spawn...which by the way...gar will spawn multiple times during their run...SAVE those eggs!!! They are awesome catfish bait!

Take a pair of shears, and cut open their belly. Taking special care not to rupture the egg sacks. (It is important that the eggs are still in the sacks...if not...then your purpose is defeated) Then after you cut out the sacks...arrange them on a piece of cardboard side by side in a single row...and let them dry for an hour or two in the sun and wind. Then wrap them in aluminum foil and freeze them. When ready to use...unwrap the foil, and cut them into chunks small enough to put on a hook. (Trebles work best...but a baitholder or circle will get the job done) When you hook the eggs...hook through the sack...it's quite durable, and will stay on amazingly well. The eggs will stick to the sack...releasing a few at a time...creating a built in chumming feature.

Catfish will bite eggs...gar, spoonbill, buffalo, carp ~ actually any kind of eggs...when they won't bite anything else.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Same thing here Tom...I know plenty of people that eat and seem to like these toothy critters...although I haven't tried it myself. I believe I'll just stick to catfish, crappie, and walleye!

20. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hmmm, GAR? next time i get one i'll try it. might be as good as that carp! :D