Gar Are they good to eat

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by carpet1, Aug 28, 2006.

1. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Has anyone eat a gar. If so how did you fix it .I've talked to some people that say there good eattin.

2. Keeyaawww...Garfish, especially Alligator gar, dats dem big big ones, dey are so good to eat, You can cut into nuggets and fry dem, cause you se dey only have one bone down da back, and once you cut da "straps" or sides of dem, all opf dat is meat. but fry dem nuggets just like catfish.... or you can grind it up into grind meat and add some bell peppers, green onions, and other seasoning also add a little of some instant potatoes or freshly shredded potatoe to help keep it together...not too much, it dont do good wit too much potatoes...den roll dem into a ball like a meat ball. put a little grease into a put and get it hot, Den dust da gar balls wit flour and den drop da balls into da pot wit grease and cook da outside until almost burnt black. when dey are burnt, add water to cover da balls and den add parsley, onions, and salt , and dont forget da ceyenne pepper. not too much pepper. Cook on medium low het covered until da balls are fully cooked and firm and dey taste good.... If wanted just let me know wit a message and I will send a more better description recipie... Also you can take da backbone and BBQ it on da pit...

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Trouble is ya need tinsnips to cut the skin,nasty things I'd rather throw em away to
    me they're definitely a trash fish,just my opinion tho!:smile2: pk powell

4. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree, they just don't look like something I would want to eat.

5. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    be carefull i read the eggs are poisan.i wouldnt eat them to preastoric,some say the back strap is real whit meat soak it in wine or 7up. ill stick with cats crappie and smaller bass.tata

6. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    No tin snips needed, just a good pair of game shears or quality scissors. I'd guess it takes me about 4 minutes to clean a good sized long nose.

Cut the "loin" into chunks and boil with a spice bag(shrimp or crab type), chill cooked meat in fridge and dip in cocktail sauce when cold..........very tasty.

If ya clean enough you could make full body armour out of the skins:tounge_out:

7. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Yep, I can attest to the cleaning time. I watched Charlie clean a medium sized one and give instructions on what and why he was doing. Time was certainly under 10 minutes even with all the questions that were being asked. The meat was even good deep fried.

Disclaimer: I have never put a thing in my mouth that Charlie cooked that was not outstanding so it may not have been the gar's fault it was great.

8. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Why thanks for the props Tom, much appreciated.

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Had grilled gar for lunch today. It was good. It had the look and texture of a pork chop when cut into bite sized pieces. After you have cleaned a few it gets easy.:lol: