Gar and circle hooks

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by dklark, Jul 13, 2006.

1. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    since they use circle hooks to catch swordfish,how would they work for gar?

2. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I caught my one and only Gar on a circle hook and a piece of hotdog.
    _

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had many gar hit my circle hooks, and I only remember catching one.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    i have caught 4 gar in the past three years, including one that was over 5 feet long and they have all came from circle hooks and shad. had many pieces of bait come in with teeth marks from the gar, so 4 is still a horrible hookup ratio, but better than none!

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Khale hooks seem to be working. I couldn't buy a catfish bite last weekend, but the gar loved me.

6. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    thanks for the replies guys

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Agree with the kahle. Was fishing a small river for catfish the other night, caught a couple of cats, then it was gar all night long. Hooked about 20 up to around 4 lbs, got 10 to the bank. All on a 3/0 kahle. If I'd been trying for larger gar, would have gone with a 7 or 8/0.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would not suggest it. I've seen Flathunter have hundred of Gar hits and plus my gar bites too & like he said just one hook up. NOT GOOD AT ALL!

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    tie unraveled nylon rope to your hook, put on the bait, and the gar won't come off easily, then it doesn't matter so much what hook you use, or even if you use one except to hold the bait.

10. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I caught a 15 inch gar on a Gama 5/0 circle and a minnow a couple of weeks ago. The hook was almost as big as his jaw! Doug

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ..........wellll the thing about swordfish is their mouths arent shaped like gar......the bill is onlly on the top of a swordfish's mouth....a gar has two bills....so i wouldnt suggest it

12. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I am the Gar King latley.

Just give them time to swallow, reel the slack, they are caught every time.

Paul

13. dklark

dklark New Member

State:
    va.
    You mean let them make their first run with the clicker/baitrunner ,then after they stop,give them a little while to swallow the bait,then slowly tighten up on them?
    I used to do this with regular hooks,but most were hooked in the gut or throat,not fun to try to unhook or have to retie after cutting the line.Am hoping
    that the circles after being swallowed will come out of stomach and snag the corner of their mouth.You were speaking of circle hooks Paul ?
    thanks

14. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I posted on another thread how to use circles for gar. you use it to hold the bait and thats about it.

push your circle through the bait, Before you run it back into the bait (assumeing you do it like that) attach a treble hook to the bend of the circle by running the point of the circle through its eye.

Now tie a small leader of 80 lb or so test (this is just in case) to the treble's eye and then to the eye of the circle hook or a 3 way swivel.

I know that sounded strange but when I do it like this I almost always get my Gar. When a gar grabs the bait it seems he catchs it from the side if he can, this causes the circle to lay flat in his mouth where he loads the rod but doesn't set the hook, with the treble on there when he turns away from the rod as its loading he often digs the point of that treble into his jaw. if not this gives the circle a spot to pivot and turn up and hook him. Keep the line tight, reel in your fish.

I do this because some gar simply shy away from a rope lure. I have my eyes as of yesterday what I am sure will be the future Texas state record longnose. I couldv'e arrowed him if I wanted too, but he wouldn't take a single bait I offered.

15. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Gadzooks hit it right on. Fray out some nylon rope, put it over a lure or behind a lure like a skirt and don't use any hook's. When the gar hit while your reeling in they won't let go and their teeth are caught in the nylon.
    Ever notice how they don't open up their mouths until you give slack in the line. This is what I do when I get board waitting for the cat's to bite. I think it actually helped in bringing in the cat's too! Gar feeding on top and the cat's below waitting on a injured shad.

16. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I pulled one in the other night with a trot line hook while jugging. quite the seen on the boat when it let go of the hook.

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Texas and world record are one in the same. It was caught in the '50's by a fellow named Russel Tinsley, he was one fine outdoors writer, wrote some good books and lived in Austin. He caught the longnose on the Trinity River, still home to huge gar, both longnose and alligator. The world record for the gator gar is also from Texas, it came from the Rio Grande. It too is a very old record.

18. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I didn't realize the Texas and World record where one and the same. I still haven't caught him yet but know where he is. Going to try some fresh saltwater mullet this weekend. Think this one might weigh in at about 60lbs. If hes not the record though he should be close. Regardless I hope to CPR him.

19. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Made it to the other side of the creek where he waits against a log yesterday. Measured the log to guess his length, 6 to 7 foot long on him as the log is 8'2". Thats trying to compensate for water refraction and such. Still can't get him to eat though.