Gander Mountain GS-66

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by EsoxJohnny, Jun 16, 2006.

1. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have switched all of my Abu 6500 C3's out this year in favor of the GS-66. In my opinion the GS-66 is a much smoother reel, both in the retrieve and the drag system. They are excellent for both my musky fishing and my catfishing.

2. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i agree with you in the fact that the gander reels are quite a bit smoother, as far as durability goes, time will tell, i got a gs-66 and a c4 6500 abu this year, so we'll see which one kicks the bucket first. the only down side to the gander reel is the fact that the clicker isn't nearly as loud as the abu. kinda nice to have that loud clicker when your rods are spread more then 20 feet apart on the shore line. but with that being said, i might stop by gander to ask them if there is a way to get it louder. we'll see. good luck with your new reels.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the info.

What is the price difference between the two??

4. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The GS-66's retail for $79.99 but occasionally you can pick them up on sale for $69.99 or sometimes less. The GS-56 is a little smaller, but equally as good and they are around $10 cheaper than the 66. Price wise they run about the same as the Abu 6500's now. Also, the GS-66 is made by Pflueger and is the same thing as the Pflueger Trion-66. As far as the durability, no worries there. I have hundreds of hours on these reels casting for muskies. Very few reels can hold up when throwing 4-6oz. baits repeatedly. The GS-66 has given me no problems at all. They are IMO the best reel for under $200.

5. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    im sorry to say this but im gonna stick with my 5 good 'ol abu's. the GS-66 does sound nice and i would look at one if there were a gander Mt. in kansas :roll_eyes:

6. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    can we get a pic of this gander mountanin reel thanks in advance