Gamo Whisper

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by wylie catter, Feb 7, 2008.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I read a real good thread on here one time about gamo's but now I can't find it, so I'm starting another one.
    I've been wanting a Gamo air rifle for a long time and I'm gonna break down and buy one this evening. I'm buying a gamo whisper. It's supposed to shoot pba ammo 1200fps and regular pellets around 1000.
    The noise suppressor on the barrel is suppose to make it 52% quiter than comperable guns.
    The reviews I've read are either great or terrible. They say it's as loud as 22 with the pba pellets but that's to be expected because it's the sonic boom your hearing.
    Some people say they couldn't get a good pattern, and others could. One review said he could put 6 pellets in an inch circle at 50 yards. If I get that kind of accuraccy I'll be thrilled and a lot of squirrels will be killed.

If anybodies got any input on the whisper or gamo's in general please post. I remember reading something about a breakin period or something.
    I want to make this gun as accurate as possible, I think it will be a lot of fun to play with.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Terry,I think Gamos are great for the price,My next will be a Gamo. I currently have a daisy 1000s . Its comprable to the Gamo,1000fps,black syn. stock. I am still breaking it in ,having shot close to 1500 pellets through it. Give Coyote1[Ed ] a pm and he will give ya some better break in info.

3. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    Gamos are terrible in general. The velocity will never be correct, as with most airguns. With a velocity of 1000 fps advertised you can expect it to be around 700-750. PBA ammo is terrible. Its to light to be accurate, and it just wears out your spring. I could make a huge list of things that are wrong with Gamos, but I won't. Gamo is pretty much the worst airgun manufacturer that there is. They target new airgunners and scam them into buying their products. I was once one of their unlucky buyers that was scammed into buying it, but I have learned since. Either buy a crossman or an RWS but stay away from Gamo.

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    A buddy of mine has one and he was very disappointed after a coupls days he just chucked it in the basement. He said it doesnt shot anything near 1200 fps. Maybe his was just defective i dont know but thats the only one i have ever seen.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Interesting ,Thank you both for pointing this out ,First I've heard .

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Richard;
    I sent a quick PM to Terry/Wylie Catter and will be getting with him tomorrow as I have been out of town and up since about 0400 hrs yesterday morning!:sad2: I'm going to get some sleep first before I help him because I sure do NOT want to give him any wrong information!!
    Uhh, I'm going to have to agree with the other posts in that personally, I don't care for Gamo's either.:sad2::embarassed: I've never seen one that will push to the advertised velocity on my chronograph and with those "fast" pellets all they do is wear your mechanism out and beat the gun to death!:sad2:
    I'll make another post in here after I get some sleep but I wanted to let you know I sent a PM to "Wylie Catter" and will help him out. Thanks for the referral.
    Take Care, ALL OF YA'S!:smile2:
    Everyone "Walk in Peace" too. I'm going to bed!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

7. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Wow, thanks for the post yall. That's the most bad stuff I've heard.
    I bought the gun yesterday and got home after dark. I mounted the 3-9 x 40 scope and started shooting it off my back deck by the light of the garage. I was shooting at a paper plate about 25 yards away in the yard. I had to get started about 10' away to hit the paper. But that's because it wasn't bore sighted. It took about 15 minutes and probably 30 shots to get it right.
    Anything I say about this gun will be straight up, I'm not biast when reviewing a gun. If it ends up being junky I'll call it junky. But,, that being said, so far I really like it. I put several pellets in the same hole last night at 25 yards before I got cold and quit for the night. It's easy to cock and very stable to shoot. The scope seems pretty high quality for an air gun. But this is also my first one I've owned.
    The noise level is very very low with normal pellets. All I heard was the spring making that bmmm sound, and the dirt flying up in the air and falling back on the leaves. I had the plates leaning on a 3/8" pc of ply wood. The pellets went through that and threw dirt up in the air.
    Using those pba pellets it sound like a 22. But I haven't shot but a few of those.
    The trigger pull is terrible. It's hard and goes on forever before it fires. I took it apart to see if I could change that and so far I didn't see an easy way without sacrificing safety. But I'll find out more later.

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A quick note to the Brothers!
    I have talked with a couple of manufactures of Air Guns and also with a couple of very knowledgeable dealers, one whom I order pellets from on a timely basis. I have ask them about these new "Wonder" pellets out on the market. You know, the ones that give you that "blistering speed"! Here is the short answer to my questions about these "Wonder Pellets" from these professionals and manufacturing engineers!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys, and Gal's too, if your shooting what is classified as a "Magnum" type Airgun. I'll use my own RWS 48 as an example, you should NOT use those "PBA" type or any other of the light weight pellets available in your bore caliber!
    The reason being is that the first thing the manufactures do is cut down the weight of the pellet! Then they add some fancy named coating and trump that up too.
    What happens is a "Magnum" Air Gun is made to shoot the heaviest pellets in it's caliber at the "rated" velocities and with the extra mass of the heavier pellet you get more penetration and more "killing power" as some would call it.
    This presumes that you have Correct Shot Placement!!
    No amount of "killing power" will make up for sloppy shot placement!
    What happens is the shooting mechanisms of the "Magnum" Air Rifles impart all the energy into the lighter pellet that it can take and the components of the Air Rifle must absorb the remainder of the energy!!! :eek:oooh: NOT, :sad2: good for the parts in your Air Rifle at all! It puts unneeded and unwanted stress on the linkage and other parts of the system.
    Yes, it will shoot them for a while, but each time you pull the trigger is like taking a large ball peen hammer to the insides of the Air Gun!!!:sad2:
    The same thing happens when you Dry Fire a Bow, no matter if it's a compound, Recurve, or Stick bow, the same thing is what happens in your Air Rifle.
    My advice, if you have put several hundreds of dollars into a high quality and high powered/Magnum Air Rifle, stick to the mid range to heavy end pellets and leave the light pellets to the weaker and cheaper Air Guns! Your Air Gun will thank you by lasting much longer, a lifetime with proper care, and you will find yourself much happier with the overall performance of your Air Rifle too.:big_smile:
    Just My Advice on this particular subject. I hope you find it helpful and useful. Hopefully it will help you save an expensive Air Gun at least or, at best and preferably, not hurt your Air Gun at all!
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

9. smokeeater3302

smokeeater3302 New Member

State:
    il
    I have shot the PBA pellets , I think that they are a waste of money . I know that Im new to the airgun game , thought I would just try it . RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!

IF you go to www.firearmsexpertwitness.com and click the kinetic energy calculator , You will see what all the hype is about . From what i know about airguns is that you want max energy and over penetration takes that away from you right ? Go to this web site and look I think that the PBA is 5.6 grainsX1200 FPS . That is less FPE than the 8.5 grain Crossman Premier hollow point that I shoot . I know that the Crossman works great stays together and doesnt over penetrate . In fact in some of the back yard tests that I have done it goes in just as far and the PBA . I have shot both and I know that I cant get a good group with the PBA . I will always have a flyer in the group if not 2 or 3. I know that I may be over thinking this but I know what works for me . I like the set up that I have right know less than 1" groups at 30yds