Gamo air rifle

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by cook, Dec 10, 2006.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Just saw a review of the gamo "Viper",got rave reviews.1,000 fps with 1 pump,synthetic stock,bull barrel,varible scope with lighted reticles.300$ ,above my limit but,worth it.Also showcased a new pellet that is made from some type of alloy instead of traditional lead,claimed a 25% increase in velocity and penetration.

No a question.I've only had 3 airguns,so still just a novice.On the gamo it was cocked(pumped)using the barrel as the lever.I would think that would,over time,change the zero.
    Any thoughts?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have had my break-away for a while now, close to 5 years I guess and nothing has changed on it. Still has good power and as accurate as ever. Gamo does make a good air rifle I like my RWS model 48. www.pyramydair.com

check out some of the guns here.

HUNTER 440 COMBO by Gamo

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Hunter 440 Combo BSA AR 4 x 32 Scope, Rings & scope stop
    This man-sized break barrel is very popular for field use and small-game hunting. It has an adjustable two stage trigger, precision-rifled steel barrel, and a finely adjustable steel rear sight with a choice of four notch shapes. The receiver features a raised scope ramp to better accommodate your scope.

Item Description Caliber Max Velocity Price
    Automatic cocking safety system
    Cocking effort:-38 lbs
    Barrel Precision rifled steel
    Accuracy - 0.20" groups at 30 yards (center to center)
    Manual safety

Weight - 6.6 lbs
    Length - 43.3"
    Trigger pull - 3.74 lbs

Fiber optics contrasting fiber colors in the front and rear sight
    Front sight - red 0.40mm in diameter
    Rear sight - yellow 0.60 mm in diameter
    Rear sight - adjustable millimetric for both windage and elevation

Stock fine selected grade of beech hardwod
    Butt plate ventilated rubber for recoil absorption
    Cheeckpiece raised Monte Carlo
    Checkering laser carved

Scope ramp - raised
    Scope stop - added support to insure against scope slippage, recoil absorption pad
    Scope: BSA AR 4x32 with 1" rings. 0.177" 1000 ft/sec $335.50

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

never use those alloy pellets. the gun will send them super-sonic. this causes damage to the piston and seals. a 1000fps gun needs 7+ grain pellets to be truely effective. plus the accuracly of the alloy pellets(gamo raptors btw) is terrible, because once they go supersonic they tumble and the velocity diminishes very quickly. Last, the added speed will give you no extra foot/pounds of energy.

from

4. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

never use those alloy pellets. the gun will send them super-sonic. this causes damage to the piston and seals. a 1000fps gun needs 7+ grain pellets to be truely effective. plus the accuracly of the alloy pellets(gamo raptors btw) is terrible, because once they go supersonic they tumble and the velocity diminishes very quickly. Last, the added speed will give you no extra foot/pounds of energy. by the way the raptors are 5 grains(same as a BB-5.1grains)

From my experience with break-barrel pellet rifles, they are not as accurate as the other types. However they are still VERY accurate, but different to shoot. they requir a very soft, light hold. If you hold the gun tighly like a firearm, your accuracy will be poor. The most important part of shooting them is the right pellet. you need an appropriate grain pellet that fits snuggly in the breech of the gun. good luck with the viper

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Thanks for the replys....always thought of airguns as "toys",but now I'm learning a lot about them....true weapons

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I own a Gamo, it's 5yrs old and as accurate as it was new, so I have to say that they do hold up.

7. Larry69

Larry69 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Can anyone else confirm this about these Gamo Raptor pellets? I just find it hard to believe that a manufacturer would manufacture these pellets for their own guns if all of the above were true. Any more info would be appreciated. I purchased a Gamo Shadow 1000 some time ago, but have only fired it a few times. Would the above damages be covered by Gamo's warranty if they did indeed happen?

Also, does anyone have any tips on setting this gun up properly? I got the combo deal that came with a scope. Is it worth sending off to one of those 'tuners', and if so, any recommendations?

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Larry, I will have to agree. The Gamo Raptor are not very accurate in anything I have shot them in. Have had the best luck and the most accurate ones have been the old lead type that has been around for years.
    Go to www.yelowforum.com to learn to answer any questions you might have about airguns. But be forewarned, you might end up like me with a bunch more airguns in your collection that you started out with.
    Bill

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jon, I own a crossman 1000s .It is a break/bbl and velocity of 1000fps,so far I have put roughly 1000 pellets through it and the more I shoot,the tighter the groups get. I currently am getting 3/8 or less groups at 15 yds,which is fairly close but as I get the groups even tighter I will lengthen the distance to around 30 +yards.I am using a lot of different types and brands of pellets in this rifle and so far my best shooting is with crossman Pointed premium grade pellets.As has been stated ,you cannot achieve accuracy by holding a spring piston type airgun tightly ,it feels strange at first,but you will get the hang of it.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First.If you have trouble with your scope,sights or anything else moving,a dab of "Gorilla Glue"brand glue on "well cleaned" surfaces will stop it.It "gives".A hard "Crazy Glue" type will usually crack or break loose under the unique recoil of a air gun.Check out Wikipedia .22 Long Rifle.Go down to "Variants" and it will explain the "changing speed of sound" an it's effects on bullets.A pellet too light could even break and then reenter the sound barrier which would destabilize the pellet twice.From what I have read few pellet guns will do what they are advertised anyway if you put them on a Chronograph.I do not know the minimum pellet weight for different guns,but it is not recommended to fire most spring piston guns without a pellet or even a BB if smooth bore.You need the back pressure to slow down and cushion the piston.I have 7 rifles & 2 pistols ranging from a Daisy Red Rider to a 1000 FPS Gamo in BB,.177 & .22 pellet.Raccoons and one crippled goose,all with head shots are the largest game I have ever shot.To me,they are the best survival gun for the simple fact that there are far more very small animals and birds out there than anything else.Notice that all of the Competition guns for pellet and BB are low velocity.Does this tell you something about accuracy and velocity?The high powered guns need about a 1000 pellets through them before they get their best accuracy in my opinion.Perhaps they are breaking you in as well?They are also very hard and painful to cock and shoot now that I am crippled and ill as I stay weak and sore.A .22 is far more pleasant to fire.My Daisy Red Rider BB,Marlin 39A.22 and Marlin 336 30-30 rifle's were the perfect setup to stay in practice year round for all types of hunting as you could afford to shoot similar actions year round.This setup was fairly common in the "old days" for this reason and you could practice with the Red Rider in a apartment with a stack of old newspapers and a bundle of rags.You could reuse all of your BB's too.You can still do this if you use a soft backstop.Hope some of this helps.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. Larry69

Larry69 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I've got some reading to do followed up by a lot of shooting. I did buy some plumbers putty a while back to build a trap but never got around to it. Guess I'll need to do that too. Maybe I'll get a hunting license and try for some squirrels with my two boys this season! Thanks again. I'd still like to hear from anyone else that might have some more information, especially regarding getting the gun tuned up or doing it myself.

12. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    great forum, ive learned tons there. been a member for 3 years now.
    Larry- the info about the raptors is true. they are junk trust me. If you need some convincing ask about them on the yellowforum. very experienced airgunners there.

13. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    On the yellow foum, ask for a guy named Rich in Mich. he does great work with gamo rifles. power tunes, accuracy tunes and trigger work. you wont even now its a gamo when hes done.

14. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Well I just ordered a gamo cfx combo. I like the fixed barrel feature i`m not real big on the break barrel type but i guess they are good as well. 1000 fps right out of the box with 1 pump. i debated wether to get the .177 or the .22 i went ahead and ordered the .177 looking forward to urban hunting those darn tree rats that keep eating my tomatos. i can`t hardly break out the thompson center 22 classic in town. looking forward to shooting it soon. anybody else on here own one of these yet?

15. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Well i`m not real happy now. it seems illinois has adopted a new law which prohibits the sales& shipments of air guns in illinois that exceed 700 feet per second. These friggin moron politicians in illinois are a real piece of work. I can order a 4,000 feet per second varmint rifle but not a darn pellet gun. boy this really burns my A$$.

16. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    If you want to see some real airguns Do a websearch for dennis quackenbush this dude makes some SWEET big bore air rifles that have killed 2000 pound buffalo. big elk deer cape buffalo antelope. granted these are pre-charged air rifles they still use air to launch the prjoectile about 3,000 pounds of air to be exact.

http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/index.html

17. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    crazy stuff.. I have a DVD on bigbore airgun hunting featuring well know airgunners using custom air rifles to hunt coyotes, hogs, deer, elk, ect. I dont really agree with the humane part of it though, since most arent not as powerful as a .22mag. however its still really cool to watch