gammakatsu hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flathead_hunter, Jul 6, 2009.

1. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i have been using gammakatsu octopus 8/0 hooks(not circles) this year.. is there a need to set the hooks with these?? every fish i have caught this year set themselves with these hooks they hook in the corner of the mouth almost every time too.. i'm so used to fishing circles i forget to set the hook now days.. any input on this would be great

2. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Generally yeah you should set the hook yourself. I do when using the 'j' style hooks. :big_smile:

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    The ones i have say gammakatsu octopus circle 8/0 hooks wuts the differnce?

4. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    they are straight hooks

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Ones a(Circle) hook and the other is just plain( J )Octopus..

Yeah they tend to set themselves alot,,Because they are sharp as needles,,But re-assure yourself and stick it to-em again just for the feel of it..:wink::big_smile::cool2:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I just some Gammakatsu Hooks and I caught my first Blue Cat a 1/0 Gammakatsu Baitholder Hook.

7. Netman123

Netman123 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The octopus circle is circle hooks on those just let the fish load up the rod(bending) and it will hook itself(catfishing made easy). If the package only says octopus hooks these are "J" hooks which means you will have to set the hook yourself(rip their lips off). I hope this helps you. Good Luck!

8. flathead_hunter

State:
    nebraska city
    yeah they are sharp!!!! last year when i started using them i don't know how many times i poked myself when i was tying them up. sunday when i went to set the hook on them i missed every fish... i don't know what to think about them.

9. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    J R i do use gama J 10/0 octpus hooks yes i do like to set all the time i do know circle hooks the fish hooks it self i would set my own hook knowning that fish is on the line