Gameplan needed --- Below Alton Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Jul 7, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Gentlemen,

I'm taking a father and son tomorrow for their first trip on the big river. With the flying carp and bait catching, I'm sure there will be many first -- but I'd like to put 'em on a fish or two. As I haven't been out since before the spawn (they must spawn all year as far as I'm concerned), I need a gameplan. I suspect we'll have bait in the boat by 5:30am and have until 10:30am to make it happen. I'm not looking for spots, but some depth suggestions (feel free to mention spots if you are so inclined). Shallow early, then deeper later in the trip??? Or should I just stick with the deep holes for the whole trip? What would a bluecat jaugernaut do in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Never fished the big river, but if the blues work there like they do on the MO river here I'd work the shallow (3-10') flats real early and as the day gets warmer, move deeper and/or shadier. I'm probably not much help since a. I've never fished the Mississippi and b. this time of year you won't usually see me on the water before 7PM or after 8AM, but I'm sure someone who actually knows what they're talking about will post up :smile2:

3. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey Greg, I was out last night there at the dam and had a great time... 13 fisn in the boat in about 5 hours, not a single one was under 12 pounds, the largest was 28...

All the fish were caught on cut skippies and gold eye filet, I didn't even try to catch any shad...

I took a co-worker out last night that has never really been fishing and got him a couple really nice cats, needless to say he had a blast!!

All the fish I caught were in 34-48 feet of water...I fished several holes from the dam down to the confluence. I am retracting my previous thread about the spawn, I now believe it's over... several of the larger fish were pretty well beat up and were eating heavily as evidenced by their enormous bellies!! I am heading out of town later this afternoon and won't be on the river until next Friday, Saturday, and Sunday!

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'm going to give that area a try this coming week. Wife is going out of town on business. I'll probably hit it during the day mostly. Never been there.

Any suggestions for a daytime game plan?

5. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I'm sure I will be able to tell you what not to do. River rat has set the high water mark. If I don't catch at least 10 blues over 20lb tomorrow, I will be disappointed. I suspect I'm in for some disappointment.

6. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Skunked..........

Tried about 10 different locations from 20 to 53 feet in depth between the lock and the first rock point past the confluence -- nada a bite. I had perfect bait as shad and asian carp were plentiful in the net. I saw several boats and talked to two of them -- they had no success either. I don't have River rat's mojo, that's for sure. I do have a solution, however -- I plan to tie directly to the death barge next time.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Cus and Gary were supposed to be there this evening. We'll have to see if they chime in with a fish report.

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I can't wait to hear the results. As I was very diligent about trying a different location every 25 minutes or so, I just can't believe I wouldn't have stumbled upon a fish. While I tend to use big bait, I always have at least one square inch chunk of bait out there for the little guys.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    14 Hours on the River, and we only managed 7 fish, not counting two lost at the boat. So 9 fish in the 14 hour dinkfest. We had roughly 75 pounds worth of Blues, and biggest were 17 and 15 pounds. We had a half dozen more nice rips but no joy. The fish are very FAT, and are feeding agressively however I feel they are still rather scattered. We fished from the Chain Of Rocks bridge, south for 40 miles. Most of the fish came from current rips right next to the main river channel. The Wing Dykes that are furthest out into the River seem to produce the best. Skipjack, and Mooneye were the preferred baits. They wouldnt touch the asian or the shad. We caught the skipjack and mooneyes at Chain Of Rocks Dam using Sabiki Rigs and they were hard work. Only managed a couple dozen in 2 and Half hours. We were getting bites and catching fish pretty much the entire night until 5 this morning so the fish are hungry. Greg and others, get your hands on some FRESH skipjack. That really seems like what the fish are wanting right now. The Mooneyes are working good too. I usually dont have much luck on the asians until August and the bait supply has dwindled some, so I guess they will eat anything. Off to work for five days.

Oh, Chris(cpalombo) will be pleased to know he isnt the only one to have Rocks chase him up the river. I had one chase me and curly cue one of my prop blades. Any idea what thats gonna cost me to fix a stainless steel prop anyone?

10. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Cuz ,at performance prop is st.charles its between $110 and $160 and another $60 if you want it polished.I've went there before and they do good work.:eek:oooh:

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    OUCH!!! Thats gonna sting a little. Thx for the info Ron.