Gamefisher outboard??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by DANZIG, Apr 30, 2006.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Any one have any expirence with one of these?
    Yep, I am thinking of semi-retiring the oars. I am looking at a 3hp for "Dangerous Child" (10 ft jon) but have no history with this brand of motor. I have a 7.5 Seaking but I think it is to large for this little boat.

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Gamefisher was at one time the name of outboard motors sold by Sears.
    I had one that was a 7 1/2 hp. It had a built on tank on top and the optional hook up for seperate tank. It was air cooled. I had very good service fron this motor. The only reason I parted with it was a friend wanted it for small ponds and his motor was in need of major repairs.

Jesse

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i had one as well. it was a very dependable motor, but a little loud due to it being air cooled. i got tired of it setting around the garage and parted with it last year.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also had a 7 1/2 it was made for sears, and gave me great service. I used it for years, I just needed a larger motor for bigger water, if the one your looking at is as good as the one I had, you will not be sorry about the purchase.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks folks! Any idea what one might be worth? 3hp.

6. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    gamefisher /sears is made by mercury for sears u could call or go to sears an findprice go from there . new 3/500 bills i think ben a while ihad a 15 hp it would run, all parts will interchange. (retired sears) :roll_eyes: hope this helps:big_smile:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Like everything else that's no longer in production, be ready for the headaches of hard to find parts when it comes time for maintenance.

Save your money.

8. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    I agree with BP, if it's a great deal then go for it but if the price is comparable with the larger brands save your money.

I have a 15hp now that runs like a top. I got a great deal on it and still had to buy a coil (~$100) and a carb ($75 or so, was my fault). The carb was easy to get but the coil took some searchin. If you get one shoot me a pm, I know of a company that can get ya parts for it if there still on the shelf somewhere.

Joe

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd say to look at the data plate on your transom. If it says it will handle a motor up to xx horsepower, and your 7 1/2 falls in that range, thats the one I'd use. You would be surprised at the difference in response between a 7 1/2 and 3 HP motor.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I'd say to look at the data plate on your transom."

LOL!! Sorry, had to laugh... You would have to know my boat..
    IF she ever had such a thing it is lonnggg gone. She is so old that a pop can is probably thicker than she is in some spots.. I don't call her "Dangerous Child" for nuttin.

You do have a good idea there.
    Anyone have a ten footer with a data plate intact?

My guess is that 4 or 5 would be the max and that depending on the weight of the motor.

11. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Got this from tracker site.

Length 10'
    Beam 45"
    Transom Height 15"
    Bottom Width 32"
    Max. Recommended HP 3 HP
    Max. Person Capacity 2 Persons
    Max. Person Weight 314 Lbs.
    Max. Weight Capacity 354 Lbs.
    Hull Material 0.043 5052
    Marine Alloy
    Weight (approx.) 80 Lbs.

Joe

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thank you, neighbor!
    So, considering my lack of sense..
    I should be able to get away with a 4. :)

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Considering your description of your boat, think "trolling motor".

14. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Bobpaul, did you miss the part where I said I had no sense? LOL!
    I have even be known to row her out and across the Ohio R. to fish.
    Disclaimer:
    I absolutely do not advocate anyone doing this in a ten foot boat... It is not smart... There is a good chance you may be reading about me in the paper someday.

On the plus side, I have literally been boating since I was six months old (43 now) so I do have a bit of experience.