Game Warden said use cast nets.

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bream baiter, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I talked to a guy today that was at Monticello this week. He said he talked to a young game warden close to the nuclear plant about cast nets. The guy had his net out in plain view when the warden talked to him. No ticket. He said the game warden told him it's legal to use a cast net on Monticello as long as you don't catch game fish. Did they change regulation about cast nets this year?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    When I spoke the man over fisheries for SC earlier this year he said they have not changed the regulations and that it was not permitted. I'll try to call him again soon for clarification.

3. AgentDuder

AgentDuder New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you have to be careful what those guys tell you. I dont think they are trying to trap you or anything like that. They just wont say I dont know. Then they tell you something wrong and the next warden isnt going to buy, "hey this other game warden told me this." Its better to know yourself.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...Did they change regulation about cast nets this year?..."

I am curious where in the regulations it says you can not use a cast net on Monitcello for non-game fish like shad? Maybe I did not read far enough or something.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It dont say it this year and it didnt say it last year but all the years before it said it plain as day. It used to read No nongame fishing devices are to be used on Monticello Resevoir and sub impoundment.

6. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Maybee we should call the number on the back of the license and ask. I will definetly do that the next time i'm sittin on the big Mon and the big cats don't want what i'm offering.

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I went and read through the SC General Statutes online and could not find it, but that does not mean that I could not have overlooked it.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    could this be a county law and not a state law? if so the game warden might not know or care. it would be the county job to enforce it.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Okay fellows. I called DNR yesterday, the first two people I spoke to didn't know anything so they took my name and number. After work I received a call from Sergent John Lewis from the Fairfield region. He said that they lost the lease two years ago and that for the most part SCE&G is incontrol of it. The skiers can't be contoled by DNR because it not a State Law its a SCE&G rule and to call SCE&G security for enforcement of that.

Cast Nets are legal along with several other methed of fishing. He wasn't really happy with the rule changes either but his hands are tied on those issues.

One of the people we need to talk with is Tommy Boozer of the SCE&G. He is the one that can help us the most. Plus the governing officials in that area need to be contacted. Sergent Lewis said if we need anything to call the 1-800 number and ask for him. He has been over that area for 14 years so he should be able to help us out.

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Well, well, well...I have a SCDNR officer telling me they are illegal. :eek:oooh: Also, he did say that was a SCE&G rule, but the SCDNR does enforce them.

I have forwarded your post to him and hope to get some clarification.

Is that confusing enough??????? :cool2:

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    OK, here is the clarification.

The rules say it is illegal. The SCDNR is not enforcing the rule at this time. That could change at any moment. You could be throwing a cast net and not be charged today, and then the SCDNR and SCE&G could reach an agreement this afternoon and you will get a ticket tomorrow. The gamble is yours.

Did that clear it up? :tounge_out:

Here is the advice I was given; go by the posted rules and you will be ok, go by what is being enforced at this time and you MIGHT get a ticket.

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

Where does the rules state that Dieter? Is that at the lake or somewhere else?

13. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dieter
    You might want to contact them and inform them that with Catfishing now being a Sport across the US. We need a way of catching our needed bait fish for the Sport. Perhaps they might consider letting us use throw nets up to a 6 foot size limit also if they feel there should be a limit..

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Where does the rules state that Dieter? Is that at the lake or somewhere else?..."

ChrisBlue can answer this, but I believe it is at the lake. It is not written in the SC rule book or in the SC General Statutes. The rules for cast nets are SCE&G rules, NOT state law, but the SCDNR HAD the power to enforce them under a previous agreement. This agreement is much the same as that used by absentee landowners that give local law enforcement the right to make arrest on their property.

My understanding is that this new agreement for the SCDNR to enforce the rule has not happened yet, but the SCE&G still does not allow and can enforce if they choose to.

At best this is complicated, and in worse case it is totally confusing. :eek:oooh:

"...We need a way of catching our needed bait fish for the Sport..."

I think convincing them to allow the SCDNR to enforce their rules will be challenge enough. Asking a bunch or "suits" to acknowledge the catching of catfish as a "sport" might be asking a bit much at this place in time...especially in SC.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If somebody can actually get that freakin Tommy Boozer to call them back then they have made a hell of an accomplishment.I've left him numerous messages and have never got a call back.Just a real busy fella I guess.:confused2:

It sounds like everything is goin to hell on the lake and before to long it will just be a big deep crap hole with jugs and trotlines all over it.

Shoot with the laws all up in the air like this we might could go over in the restricted area and fish again.I think I might try that, that would really get Barny's panties in a wad.

If they wouldnt worried so much about somebody anchored within 100 foot on the safe side of the restricted buoys all the time then they could enforce some of these other rules they have.How is Barny in a truck on the bank gonna stop somebody from skieing way out in the water any way.I guess they could equip the little white trucks with rocket launchers but Barny would only get one missle and he would have to keep it in his pocket until he sees somebody with a boat full of bombs headed toward the nuc plant.

Its alright for planes to fly over the nuclear plant but god forbid a boat fish within a mile of it.Makes alot of since dont it?

Lets see

1.- We've got boat ramps fallin in

2.- We've got trash all over the islands

3.- We've got jugs floatin around

4.- We've got idiots goin around unhookin peoples boat trailors

5.- We've got people skieing

6.- We've got a bunch of laws that nobody knows which ones they should and should not enforce.

7.- We can fly over the Nuc plant in a plane but we cant fish within a mile of it.

8.- Theres also more and more houses being built on the lake.

9.- The lake is only 6800 acres, it can only handle so much.

Theres 9 reasons why its slowly on its way to crap hole status.:angry:

Good thing Murray is on its way to being a good blue cat lake because this is the fall of BIG MON.

What did I miss?

16. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks to everyone for researching this but i think just the same i'm gonna play it safe and bring bait with me or try and catch white perch and bream from the lake on rod and reel until the "rules" are absolutely 100% clear...i will still call the number on the back of my liscense when i see skiers and juggers and such because if we are quiet about it then surely nothing will happen!!!

17. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    chris i'm gonna start gathering donations so we can get you a new keyboard cause i bet you mashed every key you hit typing that response!!!...sadly everything you say is so so true:angry::angry::angry:

18. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm with you Chris!!!!:angry: Lets preserve the only true fishing lake we have. This lake is a gold mine for the sportsman. Lets keep it that way. The heck with catching bait on that lake I can bring my own. We do need to be trying to keep this lake as pristine as possible by doing our part to keep it that way!:angry::angry::angry:

19. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris I hate to be the one to bust your bubble:eek:oooh: but the last 2 trips I have made to monty I have saw a boat way inside the bouy markers, the first time it was 2 boats that looked like they were tied together and the 2nd time it was a single boat. both time they were about 50 yds to the inside of that long rip rap on the left side of the nuclear plant if you are looking at it from the water.prob about 2 yds from the bouy at that area I saw you that morning.looked like they were maybe 2 blocks from the plant.

20. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    That may be why you've seen all the jug fishing this year.