Game fish for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Mac-b, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Thanks to catrod, I open my North Carolina Regulations Digest and found the following.

It is unlawful to remove the head and/or tail of a game fish in NC if it has a size limit. This applies to crappie, stripers and bass, etc. See page 16 and 17 of the NC reg's. for the period of July 1, 2007 thru June 30, 2008.

So, if you use a game fish for bait be sure to keep the total carass (head to tail intack) for the Wildlife Officer to verify. I was informed of this about crappie on 2-05-05 by Officers Dula and Walsh at BassPro.

There is an advisory for Lake Norman that no one should eat a bass taken from the waters of LKN. I wonder what Mr./Ms Whiskers thinks about that!

Bream, blue gills, yellow and white perch, etc. are game fish, but they do not have a size limit, so we are legal to use them for bait.

Thanks again catrod for bringing this to my attention. Mac

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, if you can keep two bass under the size limit then would it matter if you only had two and used them for cutbait? I'd never use a bass for bait b/c I love to catch those little green buggers:big_smile: but if you did that would be interesting. Here in the eastern part of the state you can't keep any under 14" so that would be one big bait!

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    If the bass on Lake norman is not safe to eat I doubt the bigger catfish are either. Both fish are top predators.

:eek:oooh:

4. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I believe as long as you are only using two bass that are not close to the size limit, you could get away with chopping it up for bait. If it was close to the legal size limit, (4 inches or less of the legal size limit) I would keep the carcass in one peace. This way there would be no problems with the law. Thats just my two cents worth.

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Rob, you can use the filets, but you have to maintain the head to tail thing (full carass).

Since I have you, answer this question for me. If we have a prolong drought, which we might, what will this do to the turtles when it is their time to lay their eggs, plus the clams, mussels, etc. which have lost their soft soil enviroment (back of creeks and coves)?

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Riddleofsteel, it is suggested by the State that we only eat 1/2 pound catfish per week and pregant women should not eat catfish at all. Sad, but true!

7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Alright, my thing is this...... yes, we have fish advisories, and they are to keep us safe from eating pollutd fish and potentially getting sick or harmed, but where do these pollutants come from. ARe they from some natural source, what are they, I'm assuming mercury mainly, and what are the measures being taken to reduce pollution. I hear about fish advisories, but none on how the pollutants got there. And if LKN is so bad, then why does the water look gin clear and the lake appear so clean. What is it hiding from us, and are we to blame? I think this applies to all lakes, What can we do now to change it? I think these are the questions to be asked. I ain't no politician, but that's my .02. see ya

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was told by a fish and wildlife officer that bream, crappie, and the likes can only be used for bait it they were caught with a fishing line of some sort. Also that it was illegal to use them if you net them.

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Rookie12, flyash from Marshall Steam Plant is what use to cause the problem. The flyash contains mercury and some other stuff, which the planton and zooplanton absorb,thus it gets into the food chain. This is suppose to be eliminated by the new scrubbers that Duke Energy has installed at Marshall. Have you ever noticed how black our rip rap is along the shore line. Most of that is from flyash being washed onto the rip rap or just falling from the wind drift onto the rocks. Eventho it has been eliminated I am sure it will take awhile for it to get out of the system. It is reasonable to assume that any lake that has a steam plant that burns coal will have this problem to a degree. Mac

10. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I didn't think about the steam plant. I did some work up there a couple years ago. Never thought about that. i wonder if Alcoa has any effects on Badin. hmm?

11. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    The steam plant at Belews lake poisoned almost all the fish in the lake in the 70's. We went from 16 species to t2 almost overnight. In this case Selenium was the metal involved. It is only in the last few decades that the lake has really come back.

12. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Is it legal to chunk a crappie but be able to produce all of the pieces that make up that one fish. or do you still need to leave the carcass in tack.

13. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac, what I say could be wrong because I'm not an expert on this subject.

The turtles don't necessary have to breed each year so the drought shouldn't effect this part of their life. If they need to, they will take a year or two off from breeding. Turtles like soil with a sandy texture to it to lay their eggs in. I have seen turtles as far away from water as 1/4 mile or more from water looking for the right spot to lay their eggs in. I even seen them laying eggs in the middle of gravel roads. If the lake is below normal in the late spring/early summer when the turtles are laying eggs, I hope they don't use the shoreline as a place to lay eggs, because the lake levels could rise to full pond and drown the eggs.

Turtles are cold blooded animals as all reptiles are. This means that the food they eat goes towards their growth, not body warmth. They eat alot of aquatic insects and vegetation along with your bait. The drought could affect their growth if the food source is not plentiful.

As far as the mussles and clams, I don't know much about them. I would think as the water retreats, they would do the same. How much food is in the main channel, I don't know? As boats make their wake and with the rain-water run off, I would think the muzzles would be able to find some food. Their motabilizm will probably slow down as well. This could help them to surive. There will most likely be some that die weither it be from the cold or food this winter.

Again I'm not an expert on these subjects. It's just the best I could do right now.

14. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I can't remember where I read it but I think I read that the mercury will be there forever. and other pollutants are added by acid rain every year. sorry this is only spoty memories but I suffer from CRS.