Game fish for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by AQUAHOLIC, Mar 9, 2009.

1. AQUAHOLIC

AQUAHOLIC New Member

State:
    ny
    I like to use legally caught stockie trout for bait in NY state,while most use suckers for there cut bait.Most people claim its illegal to use when I tell them what im using,but I am almost positive its not.

This is what it says in the rule book.....

(c) Any fish, or parts thereof, legally taken on a water body of the State may be possessed and used as bait on that same water body, in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (f) of section 10.1 of Part 10 of this Chapter, except as otherwise prohibited by section 10.6 of Part 10 of this Chapter or any other provision of law or regulation.

The stream I catch the trout in actually flows into the body of water I fish for cats,what is your opinion?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Might be legal, if you're catching the trout pretty close to where the stream enters the lake, but if it's 20 or 30 miles upstream, it's probably illegal. The only way to be sure is to check with your game & fish division. I'm basing this on the fact that, here in Arkansas, lakes that have a length limit on bass extend that limit upstream on the larger streams entering the lake for a mile or three upstream.

3. AQUAHOLIC

AQUAHOLIC New Member

State:
    ny
    But how can the law say I cant use my legally caught fish and not use it the way I want.I can eat it but I cant use it or bait?

In PA it is plain and simply legal!!

http://www.fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/bait.html

BAITFISH

Legally taken gamefish may be used as bait.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would venture to say there is a difference between the State of New York and the State of Pennsylvannia. The best thing to do is to comply with the law of the state your in and don't worry about the other one. For real peace of mind, this question should actually be addressed to the respective states Departmenty of Wildlife, or whatever name it is called. Our opinions may well get you a citation.

5. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    because THEY are the law, trust me i know it sucks and doesn't make since. the "pa trout comm" has some real dumbass laws also so i hear you.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in tx, i don't even call austin anymore because they'll be reading the same book i can't find anything in while they try to 'help' me. i always call the game warden because what he says goes when you're on the water, and he writes the tickets.

7. dwatts67

dwatts67 New Member

State:
    texas
    As long as you can prove the cut bait came from a fish of legal length, how you can do that, I'm not sure (picture maybe). Then It should be legal. I'm sure the game warden will be happy to tell you if it is not. :)

--Dave

8. idahocatfisherman

idahocatfisherman New Member

State:
    idaho
    in idaho it is similar except i could catch a trout on one side of the state and use it on the other. our law just states you cant waste game fish so if there is a size restriction like we have on some of our waterways i woud suggest keep the head and tail intact for measuring purposes and if you brought it from another place with out size restrictions make sure its either legal length or already processed and packed in other words freeze it its hard for f and g to say you cuaght that fish on that water when its frozen solid unless it 20 something degrees out. and i have found it useful to contact your fish and game office about unclear rules. it helps them and it helps you. support them they have hard time with polititions(cant spell) anyway

9. JC_MO

JC_MO New Member

State:
    St. Charles, Missouri
    I am pretty positive that God is a fly fisherman and that legal or illegal that he'll have something to say about you using trout for cut bait :)

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    whats the provisions in paragraph (f) of section 10.1 of Part 10 of that Chapter? and whats otherwise prohibited by section 10.6 of Part 10 of that Chapter and whats the other provision of law or regulation?
    Like in our state the only one who can make since out the regulations is the ding dong that actually wrote them..... frustrating to say the least- Heres what we're going on in our neck of the woods- check it out.... http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114515.
    Recently an Indiana BOC brother got in trouble by a game warden, And as far as I can tell in the law, the game warden was wrong. and I know for certain that Many things that the warden told him were illegal are NOT!

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

They got some catch 22,s here in PA. too!They got a little fineprint paragraph stating that you can,t use Koi,goldfish,or common carp for fish bait.Ask the fish cop you see on the water.I used smaller live carp for 30 years before a fellow PA. BOC brother pointed this out to me.:sad2:.Never got stopped doing it,no harm,no foul!:wink:

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THAT IS A TUFF ONE.

13. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Here's the question you have to ask yourself. Is it worth the fine? Personally if I'm inot sure I won't try it. I have better things to spend my money on other than a fine. If you truely want to know the answer call the game and fish for your area. They should be able to give you the answer, though you might not like what you hear.

John